• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Race You Hate the Most

Which D&D Races Do You Hate? Choose All That Apply!

• human

Votes: 7 2.5%
  • elf

Votes: 15 5.5%
  • dwarf

Votes: 8 2.9%
  • gnome

Votes: 39 14.2%
  • halfling

Votes: 29 10.5%
  • 1/2 elf

• 1/2 orc

Votes: 38 13.8%
  • drow

Votes: 88 32.0%
  • duergar

Votes: 83 30.2%
  • tiefling

Votes: 71 25.8%
  • aasimar

Votes: 65 23.6%
  • genasi

Votes: 86 31.3%
  • warforged

Votes: 84 30.5%
  • shifter

Votes: 69 25.1%
  • changeling

Votes: 63 22.9%
  • kender

Votes: 134 48.7%
  • thri-kreen

Votes: 77 28.0%
  • mull

Votes: 69 25.1%
  • goliath/1/2 giant

Votes: 62 22.5%
  • githyanki or -zerai

Votes: 81 29.5%
  • dragonborn

Votes: 94 34.2%
  • winged folk/raptoran/etc.

Votes: 125 45.5%
  • other subraces (explain)

Votes: 43 15.6%
  • other half-races or planetouched (explain)

Mattachine

Adventurer
So, we have a class poll . . . how about a D&D race poll?

I included the races present in the various PHBs, plus some common sub-races and races from some settings.

Good luck!

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
How about none? ;)

I picked Mul, because this is just a half dwarf and not a race, and for the same reason I do not consider half-anythings to be their own race and thus deeply dislike them described as such.

Khaalis

Adventurer
I have to add Shardmind and Wilden. Just did not work for me. For me... a "Crystal Being" should have been more of a sub-species to warforged (a living crystal golem) and a for a plant being, a sclaed-down Treant (aka ent, rootwalker). JMHO.

Mengu

First Post
I went with Gnomes, that I don't really hate, but dislike, Deurgar which I do hate, and Changeling which I don't think belongs in the hands of a PC, though I know campaigns where it wouldn't matter too terribly much.

I almost said human, because I hate that there is only one human race. There should be more human options in terms of game mechanics.

Edit: Ultimately, I would not be disappointed by any published race. It's just more optional tools for the DM, as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:

Ahnehnois

First Post
Gnomes and kender both suck. They're not cute, they're not funny, they're not necessary. (I do kind of like the RoS presentation of gnomes, but that's not how they're played).

Warforged are pretty sketchy.

Drow have had more than enough words typed about them already.

I don't know what a 'mull' is. If "eladrin" had been included I'd have voted for that, but I suppose I'm not sad that it was deemed so unimportant so as to be excluded from a poll with over 20 options.

I try to be open-minded about these things. There are many cases where I've hated a race but seen it done well as a character or in some supplement so I forgave it its flaws (Dragonborn, Tieflings, which I think 4e butchered but are not unredeemable, changelings, which I didn't like until I saw Races of Eberron, and probably others).

Last edited:

Khaalis

Adventurer
How about none? ;)

I picked Mul, because this is just a half dwarf and not a race, and for the same reason I do not consider half-anythings to be their own race and thus deeply dislike them described as such.
Ah.. the joy of races.... to each their own. I actually liked that a setting had the guts to take a new path and say that half-dwarves were:
A) Relatively Common and
B) produced something other than the already existent "mish-mash" half-races as they had been presented up to that point in D&D.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
I assume you are meaning, here, as a PC race?

So I did select drow. LUVUM for villains, nemeses, evil-doers in the darkest reaches of the Underworld. But PCs? Nuh-no. Hordes of broody emo outcasts, no matter how good they look in black, are not racing up out of the Underdark to be valiant heroes on the surface. Just...no.

I selected Warforged, but it's not exactly a "hate" so much as a "setting appropriate" thing. Warforged are and belong in Eberron. Since I do not play in the Eberron setting/world, warforged have no business being PCs in my games.

Dragonborn...well...just don't like 'em. No sir, I don't like 'em. They're "forced" in a way? Or "hokey"...I can't really tell you why. Just don't.

Eladrin is missing from the list, so I clicked on "Other half-races or planetouched" for them. Gods I HATE the whole concept of "Eladrin." There were always...ALWAYS ALWAYS...from 1e on down "High Elves"...they were the friggin' DEFAULT elvin race for PCs! There were also "Grey Elves" which were supposed to be more "magical" and "otherworldly" and "removed/reclusive". Why in the world did "Eladrin" ever strike anyone as necessary?! If I had to pick ONE race for pure "hatred", it would be the "Eladrin."

Tieflings, Aasimar, Genasi and other "planetouched"...things...I just have a problem with.

Mostly, this is because if I allow it for one player, then it's fair game for all (and me as the DM for NPCs)...and having horned n' tailed guys, girls with flaming or blowing hair all of the time or shiny glowy folks with "angel eyes" just rubs me...in a not good way.

More than ONE of these, not just in the party, but in the whole of the Prime Material Plane just strikes me as ridiculous. Ok, maybe one EACH.

AGAIN, though, it is a setting specific thing. If you're playing Planescape or in Sigil or playing a "racing across/through the planes" campaign or "make a party of extradimensional characters starting off in the 4th Level of Hell or the Astral Plane" kind of game, then they make total sense. Just not in my "standard" setting/world (which I think/take as a fairly "vanilla" standard fantasy D&D world).

I mean, c'mon, how many angels, devils, elemental/djinn, etc. ad nauseum are havin' sex with normal mortals (most probably humans)?

All of that said, I would be inclined to allow any or all of these races as a SINGULAR, ONLY ONE OF THEIR KIND IN THE KNOWN WORLD kind of thing if the player reeeeally couldn't do their "character concept" any other way. But, it's been my experience, that there's pretty much always another way to do them with a more..."conventional" or "traditional" race.

Nuf sed by me. Going to my bunker now to wait out the inevitable fallout.
;)
--SD

AntiStateQuixote

Enemy of the State
Eladrin is missing from the list, so I clicked on "Other half-races or planetouched" for them. Gods I HATE the whole concept of "Eladrin." There were always...ALWAYS ALWAYS...from 1e on down "High Elves"...they were the friggin' DEFAULT elvin race for PCs! There were also "Grey Elves" which were supposed to be more "magical" and "otherworldly" and "removed/reclusive". Why in the world did "Eladrin" ever strike anyone as necessary?! If I had to pick ONE race for pure "hatred", it would be the "Eladrin."
Hm, you seem to be an otherwise reasonable person, but here you've obviously lost it. :p

I love the fact that elf and eladrin are different races with different abilities and flavor in D&D. The name eladrin threw me off for a while, but I've come to accept it.

If they presented wood elf and grey elf as different races with the flavor/mechanics of 4e (or whatever) would that work for you? Is it the name or the fact that the different "elf" races are presented as different races?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads