• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Custom Reincarnation Tables

Aidan Milvus

First Post
I've searched several different message boards for this topic, but have not had much luck with it. I've only ever found one table that someone came up with.

Does anyone out there use a custom Reincarnation table? I've got a couple of homebrewed races that I'd like to add to my table, but I also miss the 3.0 version when you could become an animal or something stranger. I know some of their reasoning for making it all humanoids, but I thought it added a lot of fun to the spell.

So, anybody willing to post a custom table if you have one?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Aidan Milvus said:
I know some of their reasoning for making it all humanoids, but I thought it added a lot of fun to the spell.
As a former recipient of the spell, let me relay that the fun wears off after about a minute.

That said, I don't have a custom table. I let players choose to come back as their own species, or roll on the humanoid (3.5e) table if they wish.

Cheers, -- N

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
I had to do a custom table as my world only has about half the humanoid races, and dropped 2 from the PHB as well.

I basically redistributed the table to reflect the playable races. I.e. the % of rolling gnome /halforc were redistibuted into demihuman and human choices and the chance that you would become a hostile humanoid was kept roughly the same. I also added a 5% chance of DM's choice, which would reflect circumstance of death, personal characteristics, etc.

It was only used twice in my games, despite having a druid played in most games. Once a person switched between human and elf, and once a cohort became a ratman. (who left the party but provided a "man on the inside" later)

Count me as another vote to avoid animals, being forced to play a handless form would suck.

vectner

Explorer
I was running a game with a Druid that was itching to cast reincarnation. When the human monk died, unfortunate leap into the dragon's maw, he cast it on him and saving the resurrection scroll for the Cleric. This was the first time we had cast it, I run 3.5 ed, but when we looked on the chart in one players' PHB he rolled "Owl". Now the idea of an owl using stunning fist was interesting for about a minute. But we quickly decided that this wasn't going to work out. Being as this was the player's secondary character, and the monk didn't fit into the party well anyway, we decided to retire the character.

The next session the fighter charges a hill giant, the hill giant crits him with lucky roll on my crit chart, rolled 00, head crushed, death. Well, the druid instantly whips out his reincarnate scroll. I prepare to retire another character, looking at the chart, I notice the lack of any animals on it, only humanoids. One player had brought his old 3.0 PHB last time when we looked it up! I wish I had known that then, but the monk was not working out the way we had wanted anyhow. The Human fighter is now a Gnome who is specialized in the Greatsword, kinda funny there. And that player has been banned from bringing his 3.0 stuff to the table.

On a side note, I let the druid reincarnate the wizard's familiar, but just rolled on the familiar chart, his raven is now a gecko, it still knows undercommon, just can't speak it anymore. :D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads