• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Crown of the Lich King

Optimus Swine

First Post
Has anyone played this organised play adventure and what did you think of it?

Is there any way to get my grubby mitts on a legal copy of this?

I'm just starting out with 13th Age and since I'm a novice GM, I feel more comfortable following along with published adventures at the moment. The problem is there aren't any for 13th Age as far as I know.

What would be the best option for a good first adventure for a new GM and a bunch of people new to RPGs?

Thanks for any help!

Has anyone played this organised play adventure and what did you think of it?

Is there any way to get my grubby mitts on a legal copy of this?

I'm just starting out with 13th Age and since I'm a novice GM, I feel more comfortable following along with published adventures at the moment. The problem is there aren't any for 13th Age as far as I know.

What would be the best option for a good first adventure for a new GM and a bunch of people new to RPGs?

Thanks for any help!

I am sure that you can just search for the Pelgrane Press organized play link and register to run games. If you are not running in a store, you can run the old adventures at your own pace, like I do.

There's a lot of useful advice on running the game in these adventures, so I highly recommend them.

Pilsnerquest

First Post
There's a few adventures out there for 13th Age;

Pelgrane Press
Blood and Lightning (In the core rules)
Crown of the Lich King
Wyrd of the Wild Wood
Quest in the Cathedral
The Folding of Screamhaunt Castle

Fan-made
The Burrowing Dead

The Burrowing Dead is free, Google it, the Pelgrane Press adventures are part of their "Organized Play" adventures and if you join and email them I'm sure they would provide you with links to all the adventures.

For a beginning adventure "Blood and Lightning" in the core rules is a great place to start.

Optimus Swine

First Post
Cool. I'm looking at running the Pillars adventure. I love the way this system works. It's really going to require me to think quick, be spontaneous and improvise lots. A bit daunting for a new GM!

Yes, the Icons can be a bit challenging to use in play. I've been running my own adventures for decades, from the original Red Box to D&D 4e, and 13th Age still plays much the same...but for the first month or so I've been going with "new set of story guide rolls at the start of every session" and it's now clear that I cannot do that with all the games. Some groups show up on time and play for 3 hours, making their way through multiple encounters. Plenty of fodder for all the Icons to mess with. Then there's the goofballs who meet up on Google Hangouts and can't seem to all show up at the same time, let alone match schedules for more than 90 minutes at a time. As it is, we get through one combat per session, and it feels like I'm grasping at straws for how to insert the story guide rolls.

Or maybe my problem is just the fact that the second group can't get their schedules together worth a damn.

Dungeoneer

First Post
Yes, the Icons can be a bit challenging to use in play. I've been running my own adventures for decades, from the original Red Box to D&D 4e, and 13th Age still plays much the same...but for the first month or so I've been going with "new set of story guide rolls at the start of every session" and it's now clear that I cannot do that with all the games. Some groups show up on time and play for 3 hours, making their way through multiple encounters. Plenty of fodder for all the Icons to mess with. Then there's the goofballs who meet up on Google Hangouts and can't seem to all show up at the same time, let alone match schedules for more than 90 minutes at a time. As it is, we get through one combat per session, and it feels like I'm grasping at straws for how to insert the story guide rolls.

Or maybe my problem is just the fact that the second group can't get their schedules together worth a damn.
Yeah honestly I would not beat yourself up about not working the group's icon rolls when they can't get together for longer than an hour-and-a-half. Maybe you tell them you can incorporate one icon roll per hour (or maybe per combat) and if you only get to one, tough luck.

JMCampbell82

Explorer
Yes, the Icons can be a bit challenging to use in play...Then there's the goofballs who meet up on Google Hangouts and can't seem to all show up at the same time, let alone match schedules for more than 90 minutes at a time. As it is, we get through one combat per session, and it feels like I'm grasping at straws for how to insert the story guide rolls.

For a shorter term group, I'd suggest using the rolls like a meta-currency like fate points or actiion points. Let them roll at the beginning of the session, and then tell them if they can think of a way that their Icon connection would help them, they can cash it in. maybe autosucceeding at a skill check, finding a contact they wouldn't otherwise have or maybe even an in combat reroll, if it's against an Icon they have a negative relationship with that relates to the current combat.

HailToTheThief

First Post
I signed up for their OP program awhile back and have not heard back yet. I'm planning on running a session in about a week and would love to review the previously published adventures. If anyone that has them is willing to send them my way please PM me - I really want to spread the word about this great game.

For a shorter term group, I'd suggest using the rolls like a meta-currency like fate points or actiion points. Let them roll at the beginning of the session, and then tell them if they can think of a way that their Icon connection would help them, they can cash it in. maybe autosucceeding at a skill check, finding a contact they wouldn't otherwise have or maybe even an in combat reroll, if it's against an Icon they have a negative relationship with that relates to the current combat.

That sounds about right. I'm halfway to using the story guide rolls like that anyway. :)

I signed up for their OP program awhile back and have not heard back yet. I'm planning on running a session in about a week and would love to review the previously published adventures. If anyone that has them is willing to send them my way please PM me - I really want to spread the word about this great game.

I had to wait a bit to get mine. Sometimes they're a bit behind on answering the sign-ins.

Check your inbox.

Remove ads