• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Creature question? What is...

jhilahd

Explorer
On the cover of the 3.0 book Defenders of the Faith, what is that goat man looking critter?

I have no idea. Other than he looks like a GW Beastman.

I would love to incorporate a race of them in my current game and if this is a pre-written race, heck, less work for me.(nice run on sentence)

Thanks!

Jhilahd

Einan

First Post
fafhrd said:
Tiefling? Reminds me of an exaggerated Daros Hellseeker who featured in the Speaker in Dreams.

Give that man a prize! That is exactly who it is. I remember seeing someone, possibly James Wyatt speaking about it on his blog.

Einan

jhilahd

Explorer
So, the ex-minister writes half of the guidebook for clerics and paladins. Typecast? Oh, well. It was a blast to write.

Cool prestige classes. New spells. "Prestige domains"—the coolest way to work around a design mandate I've seen in a while. Church information. New things to do with positive (or negative) energy. Equipment, paladins' mounts, and lots of roleplaying advice. And even a passing mention of the infamous troll barbarian, Skurge.

Incidentally, that horned guy on the cover is Daros Hellseeker, the tiefling cleric from The Speaker in Dreams. Making an impact on Jozan and Alhandra. :)

Interesting.
I would have never guessed this was a tiefling.

product_116.jpg

Klaus

First Post
As a sidenote, by the look on the windows, they're in a temple to Wee Jas, but the adventure has them in a temple to Pelor.

Quasqueton

First Post
As a sidenote, by the look on the windows, they're in a temple to Wee Jas, but the adventure has them in a temple to Pelor.
And Jozan is a cleric of Pelor. Alhandra is a paladin of Heironious. And the "tiefling" is a representative of Hextor (by the symbol on his armor). It's the whole dang D&DG in one pic! :)

That "tiefling" is far more fiendish than the MM suggests.

Quasqueton

Stormrunner

Explorer
I've been helping DM an "upgraded" version of that module (party is larger than 4 and they're all 7-8th level), and we made Daros an half-fiend satyr based on that pic. The party hasn't encountered him yet, and I'm still trying to decide what class(es) he should have. The pic implies some fair combat ability, but as the leader of a band of demon-worshippers I'd think he should have some sort of divine magic capability. Favored soul? Warlock?

Remove ads