• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Creating Items!

Azazu

First Post
When creating an item, lets say a wondrous item. If you have the Create Wondrous Item Feat and the applicable level requirement, but dont have access to the needed spell, can you have someone else with the spell cast it for you. Or could you use it from a scoll???

:) Thanks

Galfridus

First Post
Might need a lot of scrolls...

You also, I believe, need to have the spell cast each and every day you are creating the item, so in the case of using a scroll, it's probably going to take more than one scroll.

Ravellion

serves Gnome Master
Casting spell each day...

... that is a clarification that Monte Cook has given IIRC, and I don't buy it... I can't remember the examples, but certain items would be extremely silly priced because of an additional XP cost...

Rav

hong

WotC's bitch
Re: Casting spell each day...

Rav said:
... that is a clarification that Monte Cook has given IIRC, and I don't buy it... I can't remember the examples, but certain items would be extremely silly priced because of an additional XP cost...

Rav

You need to have the spell _prepared_ each day it takes to create the item. You don't _cast_ it, although the spell still gets used up during the creation process. Thus no XP cost is involved -- unless the spells are coming from scrolls, in which case you pay the XP cost when scribing the scrolls in the first place.

Attachments

• 153508.jpg
    153508.jpg
    294.7 KB · Views: 4,055

Ravellion

serves Gnome Master
Re: Re: Casting spell each day...

hong said:

You need to have the spell _prepared_ each day it takes to create the item. You don't _cast_ it, although the spell still gets used up during the creation process. Thus no XP cost is involved -- unless the spells are coming from scrolls, in which case you pay the XP cost when scribing the scrolls in the first place.

Could you give me a reference?

Rav

SpikeyFreak

First Post
Re: Casting spell each day...

Rav said:

Rav

Yes yes. Ring of three wishes would be really expensive this way.

--Two Spikey

AGGEMAM

First Post
Re: Re: Casting spell each day...

SpikeyFreak said:
Yes yes. Ring of three wishes would be really expensive this way.

--Two Spikey

Excately Spikey.

Guys, please look at the example of the Ring of three Wishes (DMG, page 241-242).

Also in each and every group of creating magic items descriptions (DMG, page 243-246) is a section that starts with

If spells are involved in the prerequisites for making [the item], the creator must have prepared the spells to be cast (or must know the spells, in the case of a sorcerer or bard)...

That means you have to prepare the spells (or know them) in order to make the item, of course that applies to every single day.

Actually, I also believe that makes it impossible to make magic items if you cannot prepare (or do not know) them.

Which in turn makes it impossible to make magic items using scrolls, which I believe is a good thing.

pontus

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Casting spell each day...

AGGEMAM said:
Actually, I also believe that makes it impossible to make magic items if you cannot prepare (or do not know) them.

Which in turn makes it impossible to make magic items using scrolls, which I believe is a good thing.
The DMG is not a very easy thing to navigate when it comes to item creation. Flip to page 178, and read the Prerequisites paragraph. It states you can use scrolls and wands to create items.

AGGEMAM

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: Casting spell each day...

pontus said:
The DMG is not a very easy thing to navigate when it comes to item creation. Flip to page 178, and read the Prerequisites paragraph. It states you can use scrolls and wands to create items.

Quite right, and that section as well as the combat section of the PHB are the ones in most dire need of a rewrite.

Btw, Pontus (Ilbring), where is that .sig quote from? Katatonia?

Last edited:

Remove ads