• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Counterspelling. How often do you use it in your campaign?

In the year+ it's been since I started playing 3e I have NEVER seen counterspelling used. It's a cool concept, and probably something that I'll get around to trying to do eventually.

Holy Bovine

First Post
The wizard and cleric in my campaign have never counterspelled. To be honest that is not a part of the rules i am really familiar with and haven't had the players clamouring for it to be included. When the current campaign runs to its conclusion my new campaign will probably have more of the 'true' 3E rules including counterspelling. It certainly seems like a good idea but I'd have to it in action to really get a feel for it.

Cullain

First Post
As a player, I've only used counterspelling once, but it was a very cool experience. My character was at 0 h.p., and about to get hit by a magic missle barrage that most likely would have been the end of him. So he counterspelled, which stopped the missles, but since spellcasting is a strenuous activity knocked him down to -1 anyway.

As a DM, I've yet to use it, but one of the challenges my PCs are going to face in their next adventure is a master counterspeller.

Cullain

Zerovoid

First Post
I've never seen counter spelling used in a game that I've played in or DMed. I'm pretty sure I'm the only one in my group who remember the rule anyway if it ever did prove useful. I played a Sorceror, but then switched to Eldritch Master, and the campaign stopped at 8th level. I would have counter spelled maybe if I had gotten dispel magic. Otherwise, I didn't see the point in readying an action, since it would probably be wasted, and my party could get killed if I didn't support them.

I didn't know about that Reactive Counterspell feat, but it sounds like something would be very powerful, and make it a viable option.

Elial

First Post
I currently play an abjurer with an original vision as being a master counterspeller / mage dueler. I've barely ever had the opportunity to use it, so now at 6th lvl ive decided to branch out my feat-tree in a different direction.

Perhaps its a rules question, but if you counter spell heals wouldnt you have to at least be in touch range to counter a heal tho? Sounds not-very-useful to me 8-/

TBoarder

Explorer
Only once... and I ended up getting the snot kicked out of me by the bad guys for doing so after we lost the fight... damn cocky mages. :)

If its your goal to become a counterspeller, you won't be really that great til level 15. At level 15, you can take your first level in the archmage class and gain the Mastery of Counterspelling ability, which lets you use spellturn automatically on any spell you counterspell.

I made a character concept just for counterspelling myself, actually a Sorceror, but it requires a feat, Improved Heighten Spell (basically just lets a Sorceror use a standard action to metamagic with the heighten spell feat instead of a full round action), and with improved counterspell (and reactive counterspell), you don't need to know the right spells to counterspell, and at high levels you can counter *Everything* but 9th level spells with a heightened cantrip. Fireball? *casts heightened light* i'm sorry, that didn't work, heres your fireball btw. Dominate Person? *casts heightened daze* and watches it get turned back on the caster.

O well, it sounds fun to me :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads