• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Could Scarred Lands be used for Abeir?

dead

Explorer
I've been looking for a published setting I could alter to use for Abeir. There's been some discussion online that 4E Darksun could be a good fit as it is a world ruled by primordials and the gods have been banished/slain. Abeir, as described in the FRCG, doesn't seem to be a desert world, however.

Basically, in the Forgotten Realms setting, about 30,000 years ago, there was the world Abeir-Toril. I think the gods wanted to create living beings on this world and the primordials didn’t want that and that led to a battle between them. The battle raged and threatened to destroy the world. So, Ao steps in and splits the world (creates 2 worlds from 1) and gives the primordials Abeir, while the gods get Toril. It is then said that the primordials are later overthrown on Abeir by their dragon mounts. The battle-weary Primordials flee to the mountains and the dragons become the new rulers of Abeir.

I don’t know much about Scarred Lands (only what I’ve read online) but 150 years ago there was a battle between the gods and the primordials (I’m not sure what it was about). The gods won this battle and the primordials were either slain or imprisoned. The battle left supernatural scars across the land, however.

So, obviously, if Scarred Lands were used, the backstory would have to change. The gods would have to be removed, for example. Also the fact that the battle between gods and primordials was only 150 years ago in the Scarred Lands but over 30,000 years ago in the Forgotten Realms might pose an issue. What would the supernatural geography of the Scarred Lands be like in 30,000 years time?

Anyway, I was hoping some Scarred Lands fans might know if the setting could be usable or not before I hunted down the books.

Thank you

Merkuri

Explorer
Meh, I don't know if Scarred Lands is a good fit from what you described. One of the big features of the setting is the littered remains of the titans all over the place. There's a sea of blood, because a titan is chained at the bottom, eternally bleeding. There are mountain ranges made of titan teeth.

There's a city called Mithril whose namesake is a giant Mithril golem, frozen in the middle of the city. He fought in the war against the titans, walked here, just stopped, and the city grew up around him. The lore is that he'll wake again if the titans return.

The elves have no god because it was killed in the war. No one even remembers its name, and the elves are a shell of a people because of it.

The setting really revolves around that war. If you take out the dead titans and the recent war between titans and gods then you've taken the soul out of the setting. You could probably make adjustments to it, but it would be like buying a fully furnished house then reupholstering all of the furniture, gutting and re-finishing the walls, getting a whole new set of kitchen appliances, and adding a third floor. It will be a lot of work.

dead

Explorer
OK. Thanks for the info. Well, in a way I'm relieved I don't have to hunt down all the OOP Scarred Lands books. Maybe there's something else out there... Otherwise I just make it up. But I have limited time these days so was hoping for a published work out there I could adapt.

amnuxoll

First Post
Wait, I disagree! What's wrong with the backstory as written? Just change the gods to the FR gods. Scarn is a neat world, one of my favorites. It's worth the effort to put it in there says I.

dead

Explorer
Wait, I disagree! What's wrong with the backstory as written? Just change the gods to the FR gods. Scarn is a neat world, one of my favorites. It's worth the effort to put it in there says I.

This might be difficult as the FR gods went to Toril.

But I was thinking of having a second god/primordial war on Toril. The gods will win and the aftermath will be very much like it is on Scarred Lands. I could even take elements like the Blood Sea, etc. Also at the end of the war, due to the cosmic upheaval, the parts of Toril and Abeir that swapped places during the Spellplague (ie. Maztica swapped with Returned Abeir) would return to their rightful worlds.

So Scarred Lands could be useful to inject a bit more life into my Toril-based FR game but it probably wouldn't work as Abeir.

Maybe Darksun is the option for Abeir but the island of Returned Abeir would have to be heavily modified. Instead of being ripped from an ocean on Abeir and plonked on Toril, it would be ripped from a sea of silt. The island would be arid with pockets of verdure. The inhabitants would be heavily psionic. Also there would be no seafaring tradition on such an island as a sea of silt offers little food resource. (I know you can sail a sea of silt with magical ships, however, so there could be some merchant vessels but they might not be sea worthy in Toril's real ocean.)

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I'd do it. The whole return of Aebir and the Spellplague and stuff could be result of a primordial/titan vs Gods war.

In my version, it is the result of a god vs god war, with the Primordials behind the invading gods. My FR is about 50 years after the "end" of that war. New powers and monsters are appearing because the world isn't stable yet.

Remove ads