• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Costs and weights for equipment

Shadowdragon

Explorer
I'm looking into expanding and modifying the weapons, armour, and equipment for a campaign set in a semi-realistic version of medieval europe. I can come up with most of the stats, but I was wondering how rpg book writers come up with costs and weights for equipment. Is there a resource out there with real-world costs and weights for medieval equipment? Are there formulas that work? Is it all just best guesses that have nothing to do with reality?

Is there an rpg system or suppliment with realistic costs and weights for medieval equipment?

Hussar

Legend
Is there an rpg system or suppliment with realistic costs and weights for medieval equipment?

That is a really tall order. So much of medieval commerce was barter. Plus, costs in whose currency? Never mind that the medieval age lasted several centuries, making pricing even more difficult.

The Arms and Equipment guide doesn't do a bad job of it though for D&D.

Shadowdragon

Explorer
How close is Harnmaster to real-world weights for equipment? Is it better than D&D, or worse? Is there an rpg with equipment weights closer to real-world weights?

Hussar

Legend
I'm not sure if you realize how difficult that question is. Real world weights of what? A sword? Varies hugely. Armor? Again, large variation. A backpack? Could be anything from half a pound to ten pounds.

Could you be more specific?

GrumpyOldMan

First Post
Shadowdragon said:
How close is Harnmaster to real-world weights for equipment? Is it better than D&D, or worse? Is there an rpg with equipment weights closer to real-world weights?

All of the weapon weights are, so far as I know, fairly close. I know what pedants (and medieval historians) frequent the Hârn Forum, so I can't imagine that they'r far out. (I once remember a long debate as to whether there was any historical evidence for the armour called 'studded leather' by gamers). However, the HârnMaster rules allow variation in weapon weights from light to heavy (from memory that is + or - 10%).

You can never say that a 'broadsword' weighs 'X,' The weaponsmith who makes these things is working by rule of thimb and creating items to order. You can't guarantee an exact length and weight.

Most of the 'goods' weights are pretty accurate. (Though personally I don't worry about how many drams of herbs a character is carrying.)

There has been a lot of debate about the accuracy of the weights of armour, and clothing. From what I remember, these figures are probably on the high side. Also, for Hârn 'plate armour' is only partial plate, not the fully articulated stuff. If you want more information, you could ask on the Hârn Forum, they're fairly friendly and most of them know what they're talking about.

GrumpyOldMan

First Post
Hussar said:
.... A backpack? Could be anything from half a pound to ten pounds.

:) There is currently a discussion on the Hârn Forum as to what constitutes a backpack. The large 'rucksack' type of bags beloved of adventurers aren't historically accurate, think sack, satchel, shoulder bag or even wicker basket instead.

Hussar

Legend
Somehow that does not surprise me. LOL. I make it a point not to argue historical accuracy too much. I relish my ignorance. :)

Shadowdragon

Explorer
Hussar said:
I'm not sure if you realize how difficult that question is. Real world weights of what? A sword? Varies hugely. Armor? Again, large variation. A backpack? Could be anything from half a pound to ten pounds.

Could you be more specific?

I would be happy with average weights. Like the average weight for a 5 foot long greatsword for example. It looks like Hârn is going to be the best place to get weights for things. I think I might be using the Hârn forum quite a bit for the next little while. Thanks for the help everyone.

Remove ads