• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Costing Helm of Hide Alignment.

IamTheTest

First Post
How would you cost a crown that lets you hide your alignment from spells like detect X? I cant seem to find a spell that would replicate that effect. Thanks.

Rackhir

Explorer
How about this spell.

Undetectable Alignment

Abjuration
Level: Brd 1, Clr 2, Pal 2
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action Range:
Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One creature or object
Duration: 24 hoursSaving Throw: Will negates (object)
Spell Resistance: Yes (object)

An undetectable alignment spell conceals the alignment of an object or a creature from all forms of divination.

shilsen

Adventurer
A spell which does exactly that is Undetectable Alignment. Lasts 24 hrs too.

For the item, just make it like a helm version of the RIng of Mind Shielding and use the same price (8,000 gp).

IamTheTest

First Post
Wow, I feel like an ass. I really did scan through all of the spells in the SRD...I suppose I just blurred right past that one. Sorry folks. :eek:

Nah - the Ring of Mind Shielding is more powerful than the helm talked about here (it protects from multiple divinations). I'd say it's a pretty clear case for the Magic Item Creation rules.

Caster Level * Spell Level * 2,000gp * Duration Factor

3 * 2 * 2,000gp * .5 (24 hours) = 6,000gp

Of course, if you could get a bard to help you make it ...

2 * 1 * 2,000gp * .5 (24 hours) = 2,000gp

I'd say that the second price is more reasonable, since it is really only saving you a single spell slot per day.

frankthedm

First Post
But whats a slot worth? A pearl of power of power only lets a caster recall a prepared, then cast spell and those cost 4K for a second level spell.

Plus the smite happy paladin would definitly want this priced at the higher amount.

2k sounds good for a world where alignment is downplayed. In a game where paladins don't have thier hands tied by modern concepts, 6k is cheap to keep one's moraly questionable hide alive and unsmited. If it costs only 2k, getting an unslotted version at 4k is a no brainer.

As for what slot, an item that decietful deserves to be a mask.

Actually, i think that effect comboed with a hat of disguise's capabilities would be cool 8k mask.

I know I sound harsh, but bards get a break on several spell's spell levels because they get them a good deal slower. Using those discounts on spell levels to price permanent magic items should be carefully scrutinized.

Last edited:

IamTheTest

First Post
For the record I dont think this item will be a huge deal. I want my LE town leader to appear as if he is NG, LN, or LG. There will be plenty of clues to his true alignment, but this just adds a little mystery.

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
Undetectable alignment is one thing. It will make the individual appear as true neutral if all alignment components are checked for (not lawful, not chaotic, not good, not evil). If you want him to actually detect as lawful and/or good, you need a misdirection based item.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
frankthedm said:
But whats a slot worth? A pearl of power of power only lets a caster recall a prepared, then cast spell and those cost 4K for a second level spell.

Yeah, it "only" lets you recall ANY prepared spell, as opposed to casting ONE SPECIFIC first level spell one time a day.

I'd say 2000K makes perfect sense. There is a reason this is a first level bard spell with a built-in 24 hour duration. It's a weak spell with limited application.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads