• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cost of Vampiric weapon property?

Satin Knights

First Post
The real question is how high do you think you have to raise the price so a summoner doesn't buy an Amulet of Might Fists, +0 Vampiric for his pouncing eidolon. I am sure the summoner will pay 20,000 for that amulet. Most will pay 45,000 for it easily. If you are facing a claw/claw/claw/claw/bite pouncer that is is healing 5d6 and has high AC, forget-about-it!.

There is a reason why it doesn't exist. And eidolon's are not the only reason. Druid's tigers or monks would be nasty with this too.

SteelDraco

First Post
frankthedm said:
Getting ANY healing without dipping into the action economy is a HUGE thing, look at the high price of the ring of regeneration.

The real question is how high do you think you have to raise the price so a summoner doesn't buy an Amulet of Might Fists, +0 Vampiric for his pouncing eidolon. I am sure the summoner will pay 20,000 for that amulet. Most will pay 45,000 for it easily. If you are facing a claw/claw/claw/claw/bite pouncer that is is healing 5d6 and has high AC, forget-about-it!.

There is a reason why it doesn't exist. And eidolon's are not the only reason. Druid's tigers or monks would be nasty with this too.

These are both really good points. Amulet of Mighty Fists allows it to apply to too many attacks in a round, which makes it overpowered even at +3 or +4. How about... hm.

You could either have it be something that triggers on a critical hit, like Bodyfeeder, or requires an action of some type to activate, or can only work a certain number of times per day.

Of those, I think I like the idea of requiring an immediate action to activate the best. It would cut down significantly on the impact of multiple attacks, since you'd only get 1d6 healing out of it per turn and eat up your swift action.

A power that triggers on a critical hit could work, but I prefer the control be on the player, rather than requiring luck for the primary ability of the weapon to work. Bodyfeeder is a good thing to look at for price comparison, though.

A certain number of times per day could work, I suppose, but it would just encourage rounds of "nova-ing", where a significant boost of power happens for a limited amount of time. It doesn't do that much to cut down on the power level, just how often it can unbalance things. I don't really like that as a weapon property; I'd rather have something less powerful but more consistent.

How about this? The action economy limits it quite a bit. It's an immediate action rather than a swift so the wielder can use it out of turn, but it still limits them to 1d6 healing per round and uses the swift action.

Revised Version said:
Vampiric
Aura: Moderate necromancy, CL 5th, Craft Magic Arms and Armor, vampiric touch, price +2 bonus

This ability may only be added to a melee weapon.

This weapon crackles with black energy. When a vampiric weapon strikes a living creature, the target takes 1d6 points of negative energy damage. The wielder of the weapon may, as an immediate action, draw this life force from the target and into himself, healing the wielder an amount of damage equal to the negative energy damage taken by the target.

Satin Knights

First Post
1) Vampiric Touch gives the caster temporary hit points and you are proposing real hit points with this.

2) With it pumping out all that negative energy, it should require an evil alignment to wield it.

3) As worded, it causes negative energy damage with every hit, but the wielder gets the healing once per round. Still too strong on an AoMF.

4) Flaming can be blocked with Resist Energy, Protection from Energy, or natural energy resistances of many creatures or casters. Negative energy can only be blocked by Death Ward, which is a much higher spell only available to divine casters.

5) The only standard magic item that could protect against it is the Scarab of Protection. It could only survive 12 strikes before crumbling to dust. Considering iterative attacks, that is 4 rounds vs. a barbarian that could afford the weapon or 2 1/2 rounds against an eidolon before your 38,000 gp protection item crumbles to dust.

Maybe, just maybe, as a +5 weapon ability, but I would still lean towards not available all.

meien

Explorer
Pathfinder isn't an exact carry over from 3.5 but if you look in the magic item compendium under weapon properties it has vampiric listed at a +2. You may just want to carry it over or modify it as you see fit. But it should at least give you an idea of how to set it.

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
I never even cracked the MiC to check for this ability...

It's clean and simple and I like it for a +2 Modifier the way it's written.

deals an extra 1d6 damage and you heal a like amount. It is not negative energy, it only deals +1d6 instead of the situational "Holy, etc" line that does additional 2d6, but for a fighter it's an awesome property.

it is totally throw off by the Pathfinder version of Amulet of Mighty fists however. You'd have to rule that it's not available for that weapon probably to maintain some power balance, unless your players are not power gamers and wouldn't take advantage.

SteelDraco

First Post
I think the version I posted in my last post above works fine, even in an AoMF. If it's an immediate action to get the HP, you'll get 1d6 per turn if you hit.

You could also do free action once per turn if you want to be generous to classes that use a lot of swift/immediate actions. That'd still be OK, I think, as long as the healing is just once per round.

I made it negative energy because I dislike untyped damage unless it's part of a sacrifice effect. I'd have a Vicious weapon and Vampiric Touch deal negative energy damage, too. It works well as a necromantic damage type, and using it isn't always evil - the Inflict spells deal negative energy damage, and they're not Evil spells.

akbearfoot

First Post
I don't really see the big deal with an eidolon having an AoMF with this property. It doesn't heal the caster. Isn't there already evolutions that add +d6s of the various energy types? In Pathfinder its even less of an issue, because the Eidolon is getting hit by the AoE priest heals anyways.

The mob tactics should still be the same....Kill the squishy mage and the eidolon goes 'poof'. In our Pathfinder game monsters usually take a swing or 2 at the big scary eidolon, then they just turn on the rogue or the paladin with the 2-hander....they are much easier to hit. The one time our group faced a summoner with his own big scary eidolon, it took us about 2 rounds to realize attacking the eidolon was dumb...and the summoner died one round later when everyone rushed him instead.

Dumb question though....how do you buy a +0 magic item? Don't all magic items have to be at least +1 before other enhancements can be put on them? ie. a +0 flaming sword makes no sense at all. So that means even at +2 you are looking at shelling out for a +3 AoMF.

ForeverSlayer

Banned
Banned
I'm not sure if anyone has posted this but here is the official 3rd edition vampiric property.

Vampiric: Any living opponent
struck by a vampiric weapon must
make a Fortitude save (DC 16) or lose
an additional 1d4 hit points,
which are immediately added
to the wielder’s current hit point
total. Any hit points above the wielder’s maximum
are treated as temporary hit points (multiple additions
of temporary hit points don’t stack) and disappear after
1 hour.
Caster Level: 7th; Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms and
Armor, vampiric touch; Market Price: +2 bonus.

There is also a more powerful property in Book of Vile Darkness called Soul Drinking which bestows a negative level. If you crit you drain two levels gain +1d8 temporary hit points and a +2 enhancement bonus to strength that vanishes after 1 hour. No save. This property is the equivalent of a +4 weapon.

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
Well the OP is pretty happy with the version that was worked up earlier in the thread, but I'm curious where that property is found?

If it's a source earlier than Magic Item Compendium, then technically it's trumped by the Vampiric Property from MiC which deals +1d6 and you heal a like amount for +2 Price Modifier.

ForeverSlayer

Banned
Banned
Well the OP is pretty happy with the version that was worked up earlier in the thread, but I'm curious where that property is found?

If it's a source earlier than Magic Item Compendium, then technically it's trumped by the Vampiric Property from MiC which deals +1d6 and you heal a like amount for +2 Price Modifier.

I got that from GhostWalk.

Remove ads