• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Cost of Spell Scrolls

DMCF

First Post
I dont recall spell scroll cost from the ph or dmg so I am counting cantrips as lvl .5 i have been using: 200*Spell Level for scroll costs.

When it comes to spells like "Wish" 1800 gp seems cheap. I've considered doubling the multiplier each tier. Does anyone have a system that works?

the Jester

Legend
There's a chart for magic item costs by rarity in the DMG. I've heard it suggested that expendable items should probably be half the normal cost, though I favor "expendables are the suggested cost and other items are more, up to just below the next rarity's cost".

DMCF

First Post
I saw the one that goes by rarity but it seems odd that all scrolls would be the same price for different levels.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Here's the thing: You can't buy magic items.

That's the default assumption of 5E. The tables of costs in the DMG are there only as guidelines.

If you want to allow the purchase and trading of scrolls, then 5E doesn't give you any hard numbers to work with. Instead, you're free to make them worth whatever you like.

(Oh, and Jester: the "half cost" suggestion is in the DMG; see page 135).

Now, note that spell scrolls do change in rarity. Cantrips and level 1 scrolls are "Common", Level 9 scrolls are "Legendary".

If you use the DMG guidelines, that gives you a range of 25 gold pieces to 25,000+ gold pieces for each individual scroll.

So, use what seems best for your campaign.

Cheers!

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
If you want a detailed scroll cost system I suggest the 3.x system. Since it is likely that is your preference (our whatever your preference is).

They didn't make a big effort to reprint rules from previous editions since they already reprinted all those rules in 2012 and 2013.

If you want your preferred rules from previous editions to be the default in 5e, that isn't going to happen.

MonkeezOnFire

Adventurer
There's a table in the DMG on page 285 that shows the maximum spell level for each item rarity. Using this you can get the rarity of a spell scroll and then look up the price range of that rarity. If the spell level is in the lower part of the spell range you can make the scroll price be in the lower part of the price rage and vice versa for spells higher in the range.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads