• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting the Dragonmarks to L4W

Ozymandias79

First Post
here is my proposal regarding the marks, that we tie em to the gods because of the numbers IE 12 gods and 12 marks. I have tried to paired off the gods with a mark, please comment.

#01 The Mark of Detection - Juna
#02 The Mark of Finding - Lauto
#03 The Mark of Handling - Dayna -
#04 The Mark of Healing - Netari
#05 The Mark of Hospitality - Vena
#06 The Mark of Making - Vulkar
#07 The Mark of Passage - Merkari
#08 The Mark of Scribing - Apoli
#09 The Mark of Sentinel - Maros
#10 The Mark of Shadow - Peresefa
#11 The Mark of Storm - Joven
#12 The Mark of Warding - Mireva

ABERRANT MARK OF MADNESS - Zagreus/Kronos
ABERRANT MARK OF TERROR - Pan
ABERRANT MARK OF CONTAGION - Hekates

Ozymandias79

Kalidrev

First Post
I absolutely love the idea except for the fact that the Dragonmarks are supposed to be an arcane embodiment of a prophesy. If we were to instead say that the dragonmarks are placed on those who the gods have deemed worthy of becoming their chosen (thus it's okay if more than one person has the same dragonmark), instead of being an arcane prophesy, I think that would work. :)

JoeNotCharles

First Post
That was my first thought, too. Also, I think this should be tied to one particular Far Land as a common manifestation of the gods there - possibly the Kingdom of Jade? Dragonmarks could appear elsewhere, rarely, but not really be recognized.

Kalidrev

First Post
I think it would be interesting if the ones that were not readily recognized would be the abberant dragonmarks (since they never have the same form twice [though that is an Eberron thing. They could have a constant form in L4W]).

Oooh, oooh, oooh!! I just had an awesome idea! The mages of the island of O use names and sacrifices to power their magic. What if the dragonmarks from O are actually an encapsulation of that mages truename contained in a tatoo. Each one would be unique (rather than only the abberant) to each mage, but have enough similarities to the others of the same mark to be able to (maybe?) determine what it's effects are. Why would they want to have such a blatant and showy example of their truename? Because while their truename is captured in a tatoo, no one can speak it outloud (so it's a protection measure too)!

ryryguy

First Post
Do the dragonmarks have to be brought into L4W at all? In general I don't feel that they are appropriate for non-Eberron games. It's not just the lack of the Prophecy... In Eberron they are tied so closely to the dragonmarked houses, which have no equivalent in L4W.

It seems like bringing over spellfire (or whatever that is) from Forgotten Realms. Personally, I'd rather not do it.

Kalidrev

First Post
Well, spellfire was a 3.5 thing and I don't think there is a 4e equivallent (I could be wrong as I don't have the FR campaign setting books), but I think ANYTHING can be brought over from any setting and still work. There's no difference (to me) between bringing over Dragonmarks, or Warforged, or Genasi. All are tied to their settings, but we have made Warforged and Genasi work in L4W. We just need to find an appropriate place to fit them into the scenery so that they don't feel like the were just ripped out of a setting and put into the Isles just because the players like the mechanic.

CaBaNa

First Post
spell plague is already here my friend... as a number of things, Hekates manifestation among them...

Why not just set up some Daunton guilds, each guild has a particular god it likes, and the dragon marks are the guild marks?

The marks are identification that you assisted in or conducted a ritual that creates Echo's... Not being able to say the true name while it is in tattoo form would cause every wizard from over there to stop palindrome-ing...

This is likely the last useful thing out of me until monday unless i can get a good internet connection...

Kalidrev

First Post
Good point CaBaNa! I forgot about the palindromes and like your idea better anyways >=P

Also, I didn't think that Spellplague and Spellfire were the same thing. I kind of thought of it as a replacement. Wasn't spellfire only given to the Chosen of someone in FR? Can't spellscars be contracted by anyone who comes into contact with the spellplague?

Ozymandias79

First Post
Good point CaBaNa! I forgot about the palindromes and like your idea better anyways >=P

Also, I didn't think that Spellplague and Spellfire were the same thing. I kind of thought of it as a replacement. Wasn't spellfire only given to the Chosen of someone in FR? Can't spellscars be contracted by anyone who comes into contact with the spellplague?

yes, you might get a spellscar by coming in contact by another spellscar, by travelling over spellscarred/spellplague lands, by casting spells in proximity of spellscarred lands or by your ancestors if they have been in contact of spellscars or spellplague. I say might as it isn't an immediate effect it may mot manifests it self on you but rather on one of your grandkids or children, it is gamble :devil:

Ozymandias79

ryryguy

First Post
spellfire, spellplague, spellscar... what's the difference? ;) (I'm not up on FR lore obviously.)

I still would personally prefer not to bring in the dragonmarks, but I appreciate that L4W is basically a kitchen sink, and it will happen. Some of the ideas of how to fit them into the Isles are good ones. I guess I'd rather see it be a Far Land thing than trying to fit it tightly into Daunton.

There's still a question as to whether the dragonmarks have any sort of balance issues if they are removed from the "soft" restrictions created by the houses in the Eberron setting. I'm not saying that they are, but it should probably be discussed when the Eberron book is formally proposed.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads