• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Converting Deep Halflings to 4E

HugeOgre

First Post
I was a little disappointed, though not surprised, to see that the Deep Halfling variant from the 3rd edition Monster Manual hadn’t made it in to any of the first round of 4th edition books. Since I'm considering restarting and rewriting a story I started some time ago, I need to convert the race. Below is what I've come up with so far. I want a balanced, playable PC race. Comments are appreciated.

Summary of the mechanical changes
  • Gave access to darkvision as a feat
  • Exchanged cha bonus for con bonus, using reduced speed as the “balancing” factor.
  • Replaced Thievery with Athletics (and rewrote culture)
Deep Halfling

Average Height: 3’4” – 3’10”
Average Weight: 80 - 90 lb.

Ability Scores: +2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution
Size: Small
Speed: 5 squares
Vision: Low light

Languages: Undercommon, Dwarven, choice of one other.
Skill Bonuses: +2 Athletics, +2 Acrobatics
Bold: You can a +5 racial bonus to saving throws against fear.
Nimble Reaction: You gain a +2 racial bonus to Ac against opportunity attacks.
Second Chance: You can use second chance as an encounter power.

Deep Halflings are the subterranean variant of the small race most know as Halflings. They are much less nomadic than their surface cousins, and not nearly as amiable and good natured.

PHYSICAL QUALITIES

Deep Halflings stands about 3 and a half feet tall, and weigh about 90 pounds. They resemble a thin dwarf or thick human child. They have a range of skin tones, but most tend to be more earthen in tone. They generally have dark hair and dark eyes. They do not have facial hair, and for the most part continue the surface tradition of elaborate braids and weaves – a style they attribute to their Dwarven neighbors.
Deep Halflings dress in clothes that match their surroundings – typically earthen hues and shades of black and grey. While a few clans still maintain the tradition of decorating their clothing, most do not, and instead focus on making the equipment durable and functional.

PLAYING A DEEP HALFLING

Deep Halflings are not the warm affable people of their surface cousins. They grow up and survive in a world of infinitely more dangerous neighbors, including monsters few surface dwellers could imagine.
They maintain the practical and down-to-earth cultural values of their surface cousins, principally concerning themselves with their day to day survival and simple pleasures. The radical changes to their home in the recent century have pushed the small folk away from some of their simpler pursuits, and the once lazy craftsmen who spent days polishing stones have given way to a more athletic race. For many of the same reasons as their surface cousins, their small size has bred a sense of tenacity and bravery in the race.
Deep Halflings establish small settlements deep in the Underearth, but many more make their way in the communities of Dwarves and Deep Gnomes. They revere their elders as their leaders, but have in recent years become a more militaristic race that shows special status in the community for those who are warriors and can see in the dark.

Halfling Characteristics: Brave, determined, practical, lucky, numble, resourceful, pragmatic.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads