• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

converting armor

jhallum

Explorer
I have a PC that wants to take his magical chain mail that he found and convert it to a chain shirt with an armorer (it's magical, and made of dlarun, from MoF). (Fire res 2, if armor, +1 cold dam if a weapon)

He then wants to take the leftover Dlarun and make it into a weapon.

Here's my ruling.

He must pay to convert the armor to Chain Shirt. Of the 15 pound difference between two mails, he will get 10 pounds. Of those ten pounds, 7 pounds can be converted to a masterwork weapon.

Does this sound fair?

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
jhallum said:
I have a PC that wants to take his magical chain mail that he found and convert it to a chain shirt with an armorer (it's magical, and made of dlarun, from MoF). (Fire res 2, if armor, +1 cold dam if a weapon)

He then wants to take the leftover Dlarun and make it into a weapon.

Here's my ruling.

He must pay to convert the armor to Chain Shirt. Of the 15 pound difference between two mails, he will get 10 pounds. Of those ten pounds, 7 pounds can be converted to a masterwork weapon.

Does this sound fair?
The magic would be ruined by this. Or is its only magic in the material?

Artoomis

First Post
I don't think the rules allow for this sort of thing.

Noneteless, if you want to allow it, go ahead, but make will be fightfully expensive - requiring a master armorer, master weaponsmith and pretty high level wizard (or equivalent).

I'd make it cost a LOT - perhaps even more than the item is worth.

Last edited:

Alejandro

First Post
I'd simply calculate the market value of +1 dlarun chain mail and debit the cost of a MW dlarun chain shirt and a MW dlarun weapon. It would probably take more time than money to do, but in any case I certainly would not preserve the enhancement bonus of the chainmail.

jhallum

Explorer
It's magical

Thanks. I can see the argument for ruining the +1 dweomer. I will probably go ahead with that assessment. It makes sense.

Last edited:

Remove ads