• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Contemplating] Dragonlance Classics

GruTheWanderer

First Post
My games are a little slow today, and I'm a little bored at work, so I thought I would toss this idea out.

When the original Dragonlance modules came out, I bought all twelve of them. Several times over the years my friends and I would start them as a campaign, but we never went further than the third module. Despite their flaws, I enjoyed reading them immensely, and would like to play them through at least once.

As creamsteak and others have mentioned, PbP is an excellent format for roleplaying-heavy campaigns, and the Dragonlance Classics certainly fit into that category. For the last month I've considered starting a recruitment thread, but I decided to give myself time to establish my other games first.

But, as long as I'm bored, I thought I would share my contemplations with you all.

1. I would want to use the existing characters(Tanis, Raistlin, etc), but they would need to be converted to 3E. I think it would work best to use just the four base classes (Cleric, Fighter, Rogue, and Wizard).

2. Additional characters would join as the story progressed (Gilthanas, Tika, etc), and after the fourth module the group would split in two. This would allow up to sixteen players eventually.

3. The original modules started players at various levels (Raistlin the 3rd level wizard with several 6th level fighters) and progressed into the early teens (subject to racial limits). I would probably start everyone at 5th level and go from there. I'm curious what it would look like if players attained 20th level by the end (2 levels per module).

4. In order to finish it within five years, I would probably need to skip over many of the minor fights, but play out the important ones.

Hmm, let's start with that. What do you think? What would you suggest?

Keia

I aim to misbehave
I, too, have always tried to get a group to run through the dragonlance modules and adventures. I've tried three times at it always dies out. The best I've ever done is get a group through to DL8, but it died out after that.

I would love to run in this game. I think the appeal was that I wanted to run in them but the players didn't have that same desire.

I think the modules can be converted to 3-e (or 3.5e) without too much difficulty but the dragons would have to be done carefully. Obviously, they are much tougher in 3e than in dragonlance.

Keia

garyh

First Post
Let me think about this rationally:

1 - I'm very interested.

2 - I'm already in three of your games, Derek, and I know you want to cap player cross-over at 2 games.

3 - I'm pretty much maxed out on the PbP front, really.

CONCLUSION: Can you save me a spot for a later additional character? :) I'm sure some of my games will be done/dead by then.

Jemal

Adventurer
I'm not too particularily familiar with the story, so I wouldn't be able to do alot of metagaming, but one of my favourite boks of alltime was Kendermore (I think that's ddragonlance?)

So, guess what I'm trying to say is...
Need a kender?

"I've never been at a siege before...
Say, what's this button do? "
*THUNK.. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA SPLAT*

oops.."

Douane

First Post
I would be interested, too.

I have the fondest memories of my first AD&D campaign, set in Krynn. (Never played these modules, though.)

Folkert

rangerjohn

Explorer
If I wasn't clear I would like to play Riverwind. I am in the same boat as you got about half-way through DL3. Don't know why its so hard to find players for this campaign.

Jarval

Explorer
I'd really like to play Raistlin :) I'm a big fan of the books, and I'd really like to take the role of one of the main characters.

If you've not already found it, the Dragonlance Nexus site is well worth a look.

Jalon Odessa

First Post
Seeing as Heavy G's non-iconic adventure has just ended, I'm at a loose end with regard to PBP gaming, so I'd love to be involved. Although it's been a few years since I've read the Dragonlance novels, I was quite the DL fanboy in my younger years, so I'm still reasonably familiar/knowledgable with the setting.

I'd love to play Goldmoon, or possibly Gilthanis, if the game eventuates, and I'd also be happy to help with conversions, planning etc... I'll watch this thread closely to see how things develop.

GruTheWanderer

First Post
Keia said:
I, too, have always tried to get a group to run through the dragonlance modules and adventures. I've tried three times at it always dies out. The best I've ever done is get a group through to DL8, but it died out after that.

I think the modules can be converted to 3-e (or 3.5e) without too much difficulty but the dragons would have to be done carefully. Obviously, they are much tougher in 3e than in dragonlance.

Wow, that's a lot better than I did. I was especially interested in running DL10, the one about the Silvanesti Woods and the dreamweb.

Yes, dragons would take some work. When 2E came out, they were much stronger. When 3E came out, they bumped them up again. But using a lot of young dragons is definitely doable. And player classes have gotten somewhat better along the way.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads