• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Confused with Fighter class features

sfedi

First Post
Ok, so Combat Challenge allows you to make a "basic melee attack as an inmediate interrupt".

So, this does not count as an AoO, and does not benefit from Combat Superiority. But I´m not limited to one per enemiés turn.

Is this so?

In that case... the fighter isn´t so sticky as I thought.

You are limited, because a character can only take one immediate action per round.

But you are correct that it doesn't count as an Opportunity Attack.

Kordeth

First Post
sfedi said:
Ok, so Combat Challenge allows you to make a "basic melee attack as an inmediate interrupt".

So, this does not count as an AoO, and does not benefit from Combat Superiority. But I´m not limited to one per enemiés turn.

Is this so?

Correct. You're limited to one per round, period (PHB p. 268).

In that case... the fighter isn´t so sticky as I thought.

Between his marks and Combat Superiority, the fighter is still plenty sticky.

sfedi

First Post
So, if I understand correctly, any feat or feature that improves my AoOs (like Blade Opportunist) won´t matter if my marked enemy shifts and he recieves my "inmediate inetrrupt basic melee attack".

Bug or Feature?

melkoriii

First Post
sfedi said:
So, if I understand correctly, any feat or feature that improves my AoOs (like Blade Opportunist) won´t matter if my marked enemy shifts and he recieves my "inmediate inetrrupt basic melee attack".

Bug or Feature?

For me Bug.

Hitting things that shift near them is the Fighters "Thing"

IT should be improvable and allow your to focus it. That way the fighter can do his "role" better.

Kordeth

First Post
melkoriii said:
For me Bug.

Hitting things that shift near them is the Fighters "Thing"

IT should be improvable and allow your to focus it. That way the fighter can do his "role" better.

It is improvable, just not by improving your OAs. If fighters could combine their ability to attack when an enemy shifts with their OA-based abilities, they'd be far too good at keeping monsters tied down.

sfedi

First Post
Kordeth said:
It is improvable, just not by improving your OAs. If fighters could combine their ability to attack when an enemy shifts with their OA-based abilities, they'd be far too good at keeping monsters tied down.
How can a Fighter imporoved it?

What would be too good at keeping a foe tied down?

I found myself beaten up and going down quite frequently.

Well, it's when they're shifting, so it's not like they're getting any further than if they moved (they have to move one square before the opportunity attack goes off, so you smack them and then they stop one square away). It's only different with enemies that have crazy shifting abilities that allow them to shift further than one square.

And I mean really, unless they're spending their full turn to get away from the fighter, he's just gonna come up and smack them as soon as they leave.

Xect

Explorer
Rith the Wanderer said:
Well, it's when they're shifting, so it's not like they're getting any further than if they moved (they have to move one square before the opportunity attack goes off, so you smack them and then they stop one square away).
No, it's an interrupt. So you smack them and if they stop, they never move in the first place.

sfedi

First Post
Apologies for the double post, but to continue my learning on this class, let´s see what are the differente scenarios I could have:

Make a Combat Challenge Attack (CCA): only on marked enemies, provoked by shifting (not moving) or making an attack that doesn´t include me, only one per turn, basic melee attack, doesn´t stop enemy from moving, nor does it benefit from AoO related feats or features.

AoO: provoked moving (not shifting) or making a ranged/area attack. Only one per turn, and can benefit from various feats and prevents enemy from moving.

Adyacent enemy (not marked)
Shifts - No
Moves - Provokes AoO
Attacks (non-ranged/area attack) you - No
Attacks (non-ranged/area attack) other - No
Makes ranged/area attack including you - Provokes AoO
Makes ranged/area attack NOT including you - Provokes AoO

Adyacent enemy (marked)
Shifts - Provokes CCA
Moves - Provokes AoO
Attacks (non-ranged/area attack) you - No
Attacks (non-ranged/area attack) other - Provokes CCA
Makes ranged/area attack including you - Provokes AoO
Makes ranged/area attack NOT including you - Provokes AoO and CCA

So, an enemy can still avoid my AoO, by shifting (and provoking a CCA which doesnt´prevent moving) and then doing something else.

This seems quite complex.

Remove ads