• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Confused about Commanding a Beast Companion

jhilahd

Explorer
So I run a 4e game every other week. I let one of my players create a beast master with raptor.

According to his interpretation he and the bird can move at the same time, if he chooses.

Ok.

Taking this logic, then he could then have either or be on Defend. Correct?

But if this is not the case, and I don't think it is, how would he be able to move and command his creature to move on the same turn, plus do his normal minor/standards and such?

Or would he without having to use a action point?

Can someone help explain this to me clearer?

jhilahd

Explorer
LOL no, I think I confused enough not to explain it correctly.

Commanding a Beast Companion has a command for Move.
See below:

Move (Move Action): Your beast companion or both of you take a move action. The move actions need not be the same.

Ok. Can the player issue the command as part of his move, thereby allowing both he and his animal companion to move. OR, is this a seperate move action entirely? And if this character wants to move and have his animal companion move with him, he'll have to spend an action point to do so, sound right?

jhilahd

Explorer
and Defend:
Defend (Standard Action): Your beast com-panion or both of you go on total defense. If you are adjacent to each other, the bonus to defenses is +3 rather than +2.

So since this is a standard action, and say you want to go on defense with your companion, you'll have to do something to allow 2 standard actions, correct?

Or do you declare, as a standard action, that you are both going on defense?

Better? :D

Mort_Q

First Post
Ok. Can the player issue the command as part of his move, thereby allowing both he and his animal companion to move.

This. The ranger can, as a move action, choose to:

• move her speed, or
  • move the beast its speed, or
  • move her speed, and move the beast its speed

The economy of actions is all about the standard actions, not the moves, or minors.

do you declare, as a standard action, that you are both going on defense?

This.

Last edited:

1of3

Explorer
According to his interpretation he and the bird can move at the same time, if he chooses.

That's correct. It exactly what the books says.

In this way true beast companions do not eat on the master's minor actions as a summoned creature would. Let's face it: It's the beast masters primary shtick. (On the other hand, a beast master can't give an Attack order with a minor action as for a Figurine of Wondrous Power or a Bag of Tricks.)

So let's say there's an Eladrin Beast Master. She has taken serious damage and wants to disengage and flee.

First she drinks a healing potion as minor action (drawn with Quickdraw).

Then she uses her regular move action to give the Move order. Thi retunrs a move action for her beast and herself. The beast shifts 1, and the master uses Feystep.

Then turns her standard action into a move action to give another Move order. She walks at her normal pace, and the beast takes a run.

Then she spends an Action Point for another Standard action to make a stand in a narrow place. She uses this extra action to give the Defend order.

Remove ads