• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Concept sans crunch

IamTheTest

First Post
I want to play a protective polearm fighter in an upcoming campaign. I want him to be a defensive/mobile fighter. The problem is, the only fighters I have seen are sword and board hack n slashers. I want to be the figurehead of the party but still be good in combat. So, what is a food feat progression, race, weapon? What should I focus on (str, dex, con, and cha all seem to be needed)? I think we are going 32 point buy and starting at lvl5. Thanks for the help.

EricNoah

Adventurer
Hmmm, let me think here... the key concepts of the polearm wielder are a) reach and b) it's a a two-handed weapon.

You'll want a reach weapon, I think; glaive seems the ideal choice.

Reach means more AoOs, and to maximize that you might want Combat Reflexes. Two-handed weapons mean more damage, and to maximize that you might want Power Attack and Cleave.

If you're not ever going to be wearing heavy armor or a shield, see if your DM will allow you to drop those proficiencies in place of something else (another feat?).

chitzk0i

Explorer
Halberds are Large and allow for combat tricks (trip, drisarm). Human fighters are a classic combination that gives you a lot of feats quickly.

If you're not ever going to be wearing heavy armor or a shield, see if your DM will allow you to drop those proficiencies in place of something else (another feat?).

This was the problem with the old Player's Options books--something for nothing. I recommend against it.

Last edited:

(this should be moved to the rules forum)

Perhaps you should consider a different class than "fighter"?

A swashbuckler with a spiked chain could fit your bill. A lightly armored paladin could also play that role...

AR

Corsair

First Post
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
Halberds aren't reach weapons, however.

The OP never said anything about reach weapons, so it still fits his criteria.

I would definately say go the expertise/improved trip route.

IamTheTest

First Post
Thanks for the help. If a mod would be so kind as to move this thread to a more appropriate forum I would appreciate it. I dont know the difference between polearm and reach. Our party only has 3 PCs so I want to be able to keep groups of baddies at bay thereby giving my party a chance to fight back. I will check out the Swashbuckler when I get a chance although fighter seems like the immediate thought. Ill post more as I figure it out.

EricNoah

Adventurer
IamTheTest said:
I dont know the difference between polearm and reach.

Some pole weapons have reach and some don't, in D&D's rules anyway. If you look at the weapon list (p. 117 of the 3.5 PHB), the items with a "4" next to them are reach weapons. The polearms in the PHB are: glaive (reach), guisarme (reach), halberd (no reach), and (I believe) the ranseur (reach).

Your choice will probably depend on if you want reach, if you want to be able to trip, if the weapon can be set for a charge (if you care), its damage and crit multiplier -- or just by how cool it looks. :)

IamTheTest

First Post
Okay, I see that I didnt read the book well enough. I think that a Spiked Chain may fit the concept pretty well. It seems to be a good balance of the defense I want and the offence Ill need. I think Im going Fighter2, Swashbuckler3 and then enter the Dread Pirate PrC. From the little Ive been told about the setting I do know that we will be island hopping so this could be fun. Feats will probably take after the following.

Human Bonus: Combat Reflexes
Level 1: Dodge
Fighter Bonus 1: EWP (Spiked Chain)
Fighter Bonus 2: Mobility
Level 3: Quick Draw
Swashbuckler 1: Weapon Finesse
Level 6: Spring Attack

Any ideas about feat selection, cool tactics that I could use, or ability scores would be appreciated. I like the idea of a Jack Sparrow-esque leader. Thanks.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads