• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Complete Arcane - Whirling Blade

Taloras

First Post
Whirling Blade(s?) is a spell from CA that has the caster throw a slashing weapon. The spell makes the slashing weapon go in a 60 ft line, making a melee attack against everyone in that line, using his Int/Cha bonus instead of strength(depending on which is the primary stat for the caster). Does this mean ANY slashing weapon? Any of the casters size? any hes proficient with? I can just see a mage getting a bunch of strength bonuses, picking up a Large GreatAxe, throwing it int he air and casting the spell....is this right?

Brain

First Post
Well, if he used a large greataxe, there would be hefty penalties to his attack roll. Size is wrong, so penalty for that, not proficient, so penalty for that, etc.

irdeggman

First Post
It says you make a normal melee attack just as if you attacked with the weapon in melee. Albeit substituting Int/Cha for Str.

Hence any penalties the caster would normally have he still has (e.g., non-proficiency, etc.)

I would read that the caster can use a normal sized great axe - but would need monky grip to use a large one (and still have a -2 penalty).

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
irdeggman said:
It says you make a normal melee attack just as if you attacked with the weapon in melee. Albeit substituting Int/Cha for Str.

Does it address the issue of Sneak Attack? Based on the information in this thread (without having the spell description at hand), a Wiz/Rog could conceivably sneak attack from further away than 30 feet with this spell... like with Spectral Hand...

-Hyp.

Taloras

First Post
Even if your base attack bonus would normally give you multiple attack rolls, a whirling blade gets only one attack(at your best attack bonus) against each target. The weapon deals damage just as if you had swung it in melee, including any bonuses you might have from ability scores or feats.

Brain

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
Does it address the issue of Sneak Attack? Based on the information in this thread (without having the spell description at hand), a Wiz/Rog could conceivably sneak attack from further away than 30 feet with this spell... like with Spectral Hand...

-Hyp.
It doesn't address it. You get one roll vs. each target, and it is treated as a melee attack, so yeah, if they were denied their dex bonus, sneak attack 'em all. I had a spellthief character who liked this trick.

outlier

First Post
I would rule the other way - you get sneaks within 30', but not beyond that. If you make it too good, the item crafters in your group will make your life miserable; it's only a 2nd level spell after all.

werk

First Post
The spell repository at crystalkeep says:

Whirling Blade(CArc p129)
<Trans, VSF(melee slashing weapon), 1StdAct,
Instantaneous, no save, no SR>
– The caster throws the focus melee slashing
weapon and attacks creatures in a 60’ Line.
The caster makes a single melee attack at
each target, though the caster may use his/her
Primary Casting Attribute in place of his/her
Strength modifier as the bonus on the attack
roll and the damage roll. Any feats, etc.,
apply normally.
Once all creatures in the line has been attacked,
the focus weapon returns immediately to the
caster’s hand.

So it says any feats, etc, apply normally...I guess that includes special attacks?

Shallown

First Post
Our spell sword uses it to decent effect with wraith strike and max power attack using a bastard sword 2 handed. makes for some decent damage.

later

Remove ads