• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Class spell lists and pact magic are back!

Remathilis

Legend
And with that the two genuinely bad ideas of OneD&D have been eliminated. Homogenisation was not a good thing. And I'm looking forward to the more invocations promised.
Wild shape templates: gone.
Warlock half-casting: gone.
Bard's picking a spell list: probably gone.
Paladin smite spell: probably gone.
Short rests: still necessary.

This isn't even 5.1. this is Tasha 2.0.

RoughCoronet0

Dragon Lover
I’m not surprised Pact Magic is back if the old Wildshape is also back. It does suck that the old class spell lists are back though. I greatly preferred the Primal/Arcane/Divine lists. Oh well, can’t wait to see people complain that they can’t gets cool spells for their class because they are locked into other classes for no reason and despite the theme again.

I’m joking but also not, it’s frustrating to want to make a specific themed caster yet half of the spells and that make the theme good are in a different class list.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter

As it should be. This has always been pitched as a clean-up and a revision, not a new edition. So all the weird changes that occurred in the playtests always seem to come with a comment of "Why are they doing that? That wasn't broken. What's the point of changing it?" Case in point the combined spell lists. No one came into these playtests thinking that classes needed to share spell lists, so the fact they gave them to us seemed like a solution searching for a problem that didn't exist. And apparently those comments from people have made the point, as they are not going forward.

Quite frankly I'm even a little surprised that Weapon Mastery survived, since that was a very large add-on to the game that didn't seem like a necessary addition. Unless... the belief of magic overpowering weapon use is much more prevalent even amongst the non-hardcore than we all suspected and more people really felt the need for better martial features in the game. Which I'm not complaining about by any stretch! I like Weapon Mastery too. I just wasn't confident that that enjoyment would be felt across the board.

Of those precisely one wasn't something that made the game worse. (Two with the bard - but only once you'd made the poor decision to have cookie cutter casters within a theme in the first place - and there's no reason bards shouldn't poach from other lists).

And the druid templates were in practice something that were only really good for moon druids. I'd like to see them back on that subclass as the special thing about the moon druid is they are much more freeform; other druids don't dumpster dive and instead just use wild shape as a utility spell because their forms get swatted in combat.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads