• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

character death - options

Gilwen

Explorer
Ok so I had some people die in a tier 2 group at a local store and their NPC allies were able to get them back to a safe allied place. I need to make sure my interpretation of the AL rules on this are right. My reading of the player death section (page 12) of the current ALPG is that if the characters are able to get back to civilization and if they or someone in the party can pay for a raise dead that the dead characters still receive rewards (xp, gold, story rewards, etc) that they earned prior to their death. Someone a the table thought they wouldn't get anything but the only place I can find any sort of rule on forfeiting rewards is in the Faction Charity section and it only applies to T1's.

Thoughts?

Gil

Last edited:

Forfeiture of rewards only applies to faction charity rezzes. Just remember that there's still the -4 diminishing penalty that remains regardless of how one paid for Raise Dead. The best way to handle that is to eat the downtime/lifestyle costs at the end of the session to recover, that way your character comes back with no penalty at the next session.

kalani

First Post
Forfeiture of rewards only applies to faction charity rezzes. Just remember that there's still the -4 diminishing penalty that remains regardless of how one paid for Raise Dead. The best way to handle that is to eat the downtime/lifestyle costs at the end of the session adventure/episode to recover, that way your character comes back with no penalty at the next session.

Fixed. Characters cannot use downtime activities during an adventure (only at the end of the adventure/episode).

Tyranthraxus

Explorer
One thing in regards to bringing someone back from the dead, remember that their body needs to be intact. So if its missing any organ or an arm, leg, or head then the spell dosnt work. A lot of people seem to ignore this part of the spell (and its why you have resurrection as a spell). Reincarnate is a spell that can be used if there isnt much left of the original body as it dosnt have the same requirements.

Woglin

First Post
One thing in regards to bringing someone back from the dead, remember that their body needs to be intact. So if its missing any organ or an arm, leg, or head then the spell dosnt work. A lot of people seem to ignore this part of the spell (and its why you have resurrection as a spell). Reincarnate is a spell that can be used if there isnt much left of the original body as it dosnt have the same requirements.

Isn't that only if they're lacking body parts/organs integral to their survival? I might be mis-reading Raise Dead, but I understood it to mean that you can come back as an armless adventurer, but not a headless one.

Tyranthraxus

Explorer
Yeah now that I have reread that, you might be right. However does D&D even address what mechanical issues are present if you come back missing a leg or arm?

kalani

First Post
Being armless/legless in AL is mostly just flavor. The mechanical implications are limited to being only able to hold one object (weapon/shield/tool/focus) and being unable to wield 2h weapons - and only subject to DM fiat.

Optional rules in the DMG are largely ignored in AL (the only one that is currently available is madness, and only in some adventures).

Tyranthraxus

Explorer
Yeah while techically in battle I describe the death of my monsters as 'you crush a skull' or you sever the orcs spine at the base in a diagonal thrust' Im always loathe to do that to people who have gone down into death save land. If they DO die, then saying they lost their leg would cause issues with the raise dead.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads