• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Change multiclassing prerequisites?

What should the multiclass prerequisite be?

• Higher than 13.

Votes: 9 15.8%

Votes: 19 33.3%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• None

Votes: 29 50.9%

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I just don't understand where the desire to filter comes from. It doesn't matter to me in the slightest whether my party is all single-class or all multi-class, or anywhere in between. I care about their story concepts, not their build.
Opportunity cost that comes with multiclass/feat hopscotch for power. 5e effectively has none.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
There's like more than a double handful of jobs, unlike the vast generalized ability containers (and also Fighters) in d&d.
We were just talking about how a mage guild would be able to discern qualified wizards from unqualified ones without needing to use litrpg/video game style analysis powers. The fact that real world guilds and licensing boards manage to do so is a pretty clear indicator that such powers aren't needed until niche protection and opportunity cost is eroded so far that only such powers can overcome the resulting video game/litrpg design

mellored

Legend
Also let's be honest and admit we aren't talking about a paladin who really wants to be a great wizard too as the reason for getting rid of opportunity costs for that...
Paladin Bard gets a bigger hit die and better DC's than paladin wizard.

What you get with paladin wizard is rituals. That's the reason you would take it over bard.

Or you just like the idea of a paladin with a book.
paladin-dungeons-dragons-book-wallpaper-preview.jpg

Either way. Why make them pay more?
It's more the dex or con based literally anything.
Not sure how Con plays into anything.
Dex based classes can combine just fine already. There is no extra cost in being a ranger/monk/fighter/rogue/druid/cleric.

Or you could be a paladin/barbarian/bard/fighter/sorcerer/warlock without paying extra stat cost.

What's the point of drawing the line at paladin monk?

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Paladin Bard gets a bigger hit die and better DC's than paladin wizard.

What you get with paladin wizard is rituals. That's the reason you would take it over bard.

Or you just like the idea of a paladin with a book.
paladin-dungeons-dragons-book-wallpaper-preview.jpg

Either way. Why make them pay more?

Not sure how Con plays into anything.
Dex based classes can combine just fine already. There is no extra cost in being a ranger/monk/fighter/rogue/druid/cleric.

Or you could be a paladin/barbarian/bard/fighter/sorcerer/warlock without paying extra stat cost.

What's the point of drawing the line at paladin monk?
I'm not the one who brought up paladin as the shining example of a great or even sane wizard build. I've already said they mc prereqs are too low in an earlier longer post. The paladin/wizard build sounds like such an extreme example of self sabotage that expecting it to be a great wizard would just make actually logical mc builds incredibly over the top.

Vaalingrade

Legend
We were just talking about how a mage guild would be able to discern qualified wizards from unqualified ones without needing to use litrpg/video game style analysis powers. The fact that real world guilds and licensing boards manage to do so is a pretty clear indicator that such powers aren't needed until niche protection and opportunity cost is eroded so far that only such powers can overcome the resulting video game/litrpg design
Real world guilds have granular criteria.

D&D classes are Are you angry when you kill people, or do you do a little speech and do some shadow puppets? Are you competent at skills or are you not a Bard or Rogue? They're way too big a box to decide they're all the same thing and should all go in the same clubhouse.

Like what do the Champions talk about to real fighters? Are the Necromancers really going to hang with those terrifying, immoral Enchanters?

I don't know how I can explain how niche protection works and how that existing within the system allows the gm room to do things that might not otherwise be reasonable. 5e is made weaker by it's efforts to erode it and people are talking about eroding what little there is even further.
Death to niche protection! It's just the 4E idea of "combat roles" in natural language! Give players the freedom to play whatever concept represents their character! I'm sure an empowered DM can deal with whatever combination of characters the party is!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads