• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"Can't finish its action..."

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Interrupts Target's Action: An opportunity action takes place before the target finishes its action. After the opportunity attack, the creature resumes its action. If the target is reduced to 0 hit points or fewer by the opportunity attack, it can't finish its action because it's dead or dying.

I go to use my daily power; I provoke an OA; I'm reduced to 0 hit points or fewer; I can't finish my action.

Next round, the cleric heals me.

a/ I never finished my action, so I have not used my daily power today.
b/ I started my action, despite not finishing, so I have used my daily power today.

Which?

-Hyp.

Yaezakura

First Post
A.

You never performed the action--you simply started to, and got pummeled before you could manage it.

Think of it like this: When you go to use your crossbow and get knocked out, do you lose the bolt? Nope, because you never actually fired it. You were still getting ready to fire it when you got bashed.

SadisticFishing

First Post
A.

You never performed the action--you simply started to, and got pummeled before you could manage it.

Think of it like this: When you go to use your crossbow and get knocked out, do you lose the bolt? Nope, because you never actually fired it. You were still getting ready to fire it when you got bashed.

Makes sense to me, and it's definitely how I'd play it.

But is it what the rules say? I haven't the faintest clue.

Slander

Explorer
"Interrupt: An immediate interrupt lets you jump
in when a certain trigger condition arises, acting
before the trigger resolves. If an interrupt invalidates
a triggering action, that action is lost.
For example,
an enemy makes a melee attack against you, but you
use a power that lets you shift away as an immediate
interrupt. If your enemy can no longer reach you, the
enemy’s attack action is lost."

While my gut would have choosen A, I'd say the bolded portion qualifies as "invalidating the triggering action". So B is my final answer.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
While my gut would have choosen A, I'd say the bolded portion qualifies as "invalidating the triggering action". So B is my final answer.

Does "the action is lost" merely mean "You are considered to have expended a standard action", or "You have expended a standard action and the use of your daily power", though?

Let's say I'm under the effect of a Divine Challenge, and the daily power I was going to use would be an attack that does not include the paladin. The OA knocked me unconscious before I finished the action. Did I ever actually make an attack that did not include the paladin, and therefore suffer radiant damage? Or did the OA, which invalidated my action, prevent me from making an attack that did not include the paladin?

And if I didn't make the attack, could I have used the power which makes the attack?

If I'm also under the effects of something that provides a benefit to "my next attack", have I yet actually made "my next attack", or is "my next attack" yet to come, since the attack was invalidated by the OA?

Losing the action required to activate the power, and losing the daily use of the power, are not necessarily synonymous.

-Hyp.

Kzach

Banned
Banned
B.

Aside from being the rules, if you were silly enough to provoke at a time when you could lose the action, then I kinda have no sympathy as a DM :D

hyphz

First Post
B, based on consistency with another thread.

Ruling A causes a potential infinite loop if the power in question is an interrupt used in response to being attacked.

Slander

Explorer
I think divorcing the use of the power from the action it requires would overly complicate things (not that 4E has to be simple). Using a power is the action. In the grand tradition of the rules forum, that is of course up for debate. And furthering the tradition, there is some less than clear strict RAW text which can support either side.

Most powers require a standard action. Some powers are move actions, a few are immediate interrupts or immediate reactions, a handful are minor actions or free actions, and a scant few require no action.

The use of require in the above text can support the idea that the use of a power and the action itself are separate. However, the next few lines equate a the use of a power with the action itself by using are. By my interpretation, powers are actions are powers.

So, to your specific example, yes, you made an attack and you would suffer radiant damage. That there is no opportunity for resolution [because you are now unconscious; because the enemy shifts out of reach; etc] doesn't mean the attempt didn't happen. If your action happens to be a the use of daily power ... whoops.

Kordeth

First Post
I'm going to agree that if you lose the action you lose the power, but I'd also rule that a fighter's Reliable power would not be expended, just like if he had attacked and missed. That's totally a personal judgment call, though.

Danceofmasks

First Post
Me too.
Although the circumstances that would cause that to happen would be amusing to say the least.

However, I have another scenario.

Fighter attacks a dude wearing an Iron of Spite (P249) with a reliable power.
Fighter hits. Takes 1d10 damage and falls unconscious.

Seeing as this is an item property, it's no action, but ... is the timing like an interrupt or reaction?

I'm going to go with reaction, otherwise it would = minions can't hurt wearer in melee.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads