• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

CannonBall Special

IamTheTest

First Post
I don't have anything relevant to add to the rules discussion at this point, but I will stop in to say that this definitely falls under the "it is cool, therefore I'll allow it" rule I typically site. Well done.

frankthedm

First Post
IamTheTest said:
I don't have anything relevant to add to the rules discussion at this point, but I will stop in to say that this definitely falls under the "it is cool, therefore I'll allow it" rule I typically site. Well done.
It also falls under "I am going to eyeball the :):):):) out of this maneuver to make sure it is not used to get around the rules for movement and full attacks"

1. Runt readies an attack for when he gets to the target
2. Full round action to throw the runt
3. Unless the thrower hurls the runt so hard shortstuff will be harmed when he impacts the foe, he draws an AoO if the foe has reach.
4. Runt can take a readied attack when he gets to the target.
5. Runt collides with foe as an improvised weapon / keeps going in the arc of the throw.

If on the other hand the runt tries to delay, hoping to be moved so he can take a full attack after he arives at the location, he will be informed the thrown distance count against his movement for the round.

Ender_rpm

First Post
Re: full attacks- Thats easy: If the throw is more than 5', no full attacks, just like mounted combat. the "ball" would have to delay to the "cannon's" init, then get chucked as a full round action. the cannon makes a ranged attack vs the square, the ball gets one attack, then has to deal with falling. I've seen i attempted before, but it did not go well. thrwon weapon splash rules and ships don;t go well together :)

Drowbane

First Post
Fastball Special

majustismp15 said:
In the game my friends and I are playing, we have a half-orc monk and a halfling rogue.
One day we encountered a pesky imp that was fifteen feet up. What did we do? The orc threw the dual weilding halfling at the imp like the cannonball special. It was so awesome we did it again.
The problem we came accross both times is: what the heck rules does this fall under? What effects does it have besides getting someone (x) feet up in the air? what skills are used in this?
We are really starting from scratch, so any input would help us nail down this situation.

Simpliest rule: orc is aiding the halfling with his jump. Mechanically the orc readies an action to Aid the halfling with his jump. Halfling makes jump check, flies through the air (jumping from a square adjacent to the orc) and makes his attack at the end. Aesthitically (spelling? :p) the orc is throwing the halfling at the enemy :p

Feat: fling ally, as others have mentioned

Fairly new way of doing it: Big Guy(tm) uses ballista throw" the Small Guy(tm) who has an attack readied for any target in the line...? ballista throw is a 6th level maneuver from Tome of Battle. Basicly, throw someone (as Trip check) as a 60ft Line... the thrown and all in the way take 6d6 dmg. Its a good thing Wolvie has DR and Fast Healing/Regen :p

Last edited:

Drowbane said:
::takes a bow::

Works nicely if the halfling is a decent jumper on his own...

But doesn't work if the halfing is not a jumper. Technically all an Aid Another does is add a +2 to the jump check, which equates to an additional 2' of distance! :(

Can't see any Orc wasting a readied action on that unless you either add in that the action replaces the need for the 20' running start..or make the Aid Another bonus much higher.

Nail

First Post
Primitive Screwhead said:
.... unless you either add in that the action replaces the need for the 20' running start..or make the Aid Another bonus much higher.
Bingo!

Give the man a prize! :D

Solarious

Explorer
For sacrificing both character's actions, I would probably let the Monk's jump check, with running start modifiers and all, replace the halfling's, with the little guy's check being the aid another to his own 'result'. Maybe enhanced, like additional +1 for each 5 above DC10? And making the attack equivilant of a charge, perhaps.

After all, what the halfling is being thrown at, the Monk can probably reach with a jump check of his own. From a puerly mechanical standpoint, the Fastball Special needs to be worth the level of setup and co-operation it requires. And face it, the bonus you hand out is worth it for the style points and roleplaying opportunity alone.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads