• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can You Be A Good Dog? Play Pugmire And Find Out

Pugmire is a fantasy game that has gone to the dogs. Not just dogs, but also cats, rats, badgers and lizards as well. Set in a far future world that has reverted to the tropes of medieval fantasy, you play characters that are on a quest to become a "good dog."

Pugmire is a fantasy game that has gone to the dogs. Not just dogs, but also cats, rats, badgers and lizards as well. Set in a far future world that has reverted to the tropes of medieval fantasy, you play characters that are on a quest to become a "good dog."

Produced by Onyx Path Publishing and created by long time RPG designer and developer Eddy Webb, Pugmire uses a customization of the 5th edition OGL rules that will be familiar to anyone who has played Dungeons and Dragons. Some of the customizations that Webb has made to the rules:

• Characters roll for initiative. The highest scoring player then picks who will take a turn after his. This second step is repeated, with each player choosing who will go next.
  • Stamina dice are similar to hit dice but have a far wider range of uses. These include restoring used spell slots and mitigating a failed death save.
  • Fortune functions like inspiration, but instead of being allotted individually there is a communal fortune bowl. Drawing from the bowl requires the consent of the entire party and allows the player to reroll one dice and take the best result.
  • Critical hits in combat are called triumphs and allow the player to roll double their damage dice. There is also a critical fail mechanic called a botch. Botches either impose disadvantage on the player's next attack roll or gives an enemy advantage.

Character creation has been simplified, and the player has a choice of seven breeds, six callings and a background. Breeds and callings are similar to traditional race and class options but have a wider impact on the game. As characters levels up, ability scores can be increased, or they can learn new tricks or enhance old tricks. As breeds, callings and backgrounds all have separate lists of available tricks; they continue to be equally important to character development.

The narrative explanation of the rules coupled with the brightly coloured art gives the setting a definite sense of whimsy. There is an emphasis on trust, companionship and loyalty throughout the rule book's narrative and the overall atmosphere is closer to Redwall than to Watership Down.

This lighthearted feel is reinforced by the fact that the main antagonists facing our anthropomorphised heroes are the demonic "The Unseen," who are literally invisible. Hiding the game's main adversary from sight could lead to a campaign of creeping fear and possession. But when you add in the whimsy of adventuring dogs, it tends to downplay the elements of violence and death during combat encounters.

Far from being a negative, the cheerful ambience and slightly simplified mechanics makes Pugmire ideal as an introductory game for younger players. The OGL system retains its depth while the subtle rule changes make the game more streamlined. The atmosphere of the game is scalable, allowing for a lighthearted romp for children or a potentially terrifying campaign of possession and unseen danger that will satisfy more experienced players.

contributed by John McCloy

barasawa

Explorer
I already fetched this one, and hopefully I'm not barking up the wrong tree, but this is one bone you'll want to dig up and enjoy.

I just had to go for the dog puns, but it really does look like a good game. Haven't gotten to play it yet though, we're currently in a different game/campaign.

S

Sunseeker

Bought this on the premise alone. The lore of the world was totally worth it. Haven't actually played it yet though.

ddaley

Explorer
I already fetched this one, and hopefully I'm not barking up the wrong tree, but this is one bone you'll want to dig up and enjoy.

I just had to go for the dog puns, but it really does look like a good game. Haven't gotten to play it yet though, we're currently in a different game/campaign.

Same here. I backed the kickstarter for this. But, we are busy with other campaigns, so haven't had a chance to try it out. Maybe we'll get to it this fall/winter.

Evenglare

Adventurer
Looks ... interesting, I think is the best word? Actually it looks pretty high quality. Seems like the schtick is playing as animal characters. I think mouse guard already covered that brilliantly, but I know people have more affinity for dogs, and if this is a kids oriented product, well hey, i'm always down with more RPGs that grow the fanbase!

ddaley

Explorer
Looks ... interesting, I think is the best word? Actually it looks pretty high quality. Seems like the schtick is playing as animal characters. I think mouse guard already covered that brilliantly, but I know people have more affinity for dogs, and if this is a kids oriented product, well hey, i'm always down with more RPGs that grow the fanbase!

They are also releasing a version based on cats called Monarchies of Mau:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/200664283/monarchies-of-mau-fantasy-tabletop-rpg

IanWatson

Explorer
[MENTION=63245]Evenglare[/MENTION]: We've been referring to it more as a family-friendly game. The basic concept's simple enough for kids to grab on to (and the simplified rules help with that), but the setting's got enough meat on the bones that there's plenty for adults to explore too.

Henry

Autoexreginated
No bones about it, i've been rolling over with joy reading the rules set on this ever since I backed the kickstarter and got my paws on even the ruff early access rules. I really get a kick out of the Code of Man and the fun you can have describing a past artifact that people don't quite grasp until later in the game. In short, just lots of potential for a great experience and not taking yourself too seriously.

Remove ads

Remove ads