• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gate Pass Gazette Can Engineer Artificer spells target their vehicle?

xiphumor

Legend
Can Engineer Artificers make their spells target their vehicle if they’re integrated into it? And if so, how does something like Expeditious Retreat work? It takes a bonus action to pilot a vehicle, so it would seem to take a second bonus action to dash, which is impossible. Unless the vehicle has its own actions?

On one hand, it would be simpler if they could not target the vehicle, but it would also be profoundly disappointing.

EDIT: Also, the “Enhanced Break” feature specifically references the Stop action, which was removed in errata. Furthermore, the “Chemical Boosters” option requires a bonus action while driving, which is seemingly impossible.

Last edited:

There's nothing in the description of the INTEGRATED SPELL INVENTION for the Machinist that gives the option to target the vehicle. The ability only allows the machinist to use the vehicle for storing the invention itself. Based off this I would say the spells are targeted as normal for the spell.

I have no answer for the Stop action point.

In regards to Chemical Boosters, you can still use this effectively. Chemical Boosters says that you use a bonus action to increase the speed for 1 minute while driving your vehicle. It does not say the vehicle has to be in motion so if you were driving the vehicle you could activate it prior to using the "Drive" action. In addition due to the Momentum rules you can also use on a vehicle that's in motion.
Example:​
  1. Round 1: Use drive action to move half it's movement. Vehicle gains momentum.
  2. Round 2: Use Chemical Boosters. Vehicle continues to move forward due to momentum.
  3. Round 3: Profit?

xiphumor

Legend
There's nothing in the description of the INTEGRATED SPELL INVENTION for the Machinist that gives the option to target the vehicle. The ability only allows the machinist to use the vehicle for storing the invention itself. Based off this I would say the spells are targeted as normal for the spell.

I have no answer for the Stop action point.

In regards to Chemical Boosters, you can still use this effectively. Chemical Boosters says that you use a bonus action to increase the speed for 1 minute while driving your vehicle. It does not say the vehicle has to be in motion so if you were driving the vehicle you could activate it prior to using the "Drive" action. In addition due to the Momentum rules you can also use on a vehicle that's in motion.
Example:​
  1. Round 1: Use drive action to move half it's movement. Vehicle gains momentum.
  2. Round 2: Use Chemical Boosters. Vehicle continues to move forward due to momentum.
  3. Round 3: Profit?
Well, time to start researching some Rare spells that target objects then!

Remove ads