• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can a stance be maintained when knocked unconscious?

Vael

Legend
The fighter in my campaign had activated Boundless Endurance (Level 2 utility stance), and was knocked into negatives. He insisted that his stance was still in effect when the Warlord healed him back to consciousness. This led to a bit of an argument that brought the encounter to a bit of a halt.

So, my questions:

1. Does a stance continue to provide it's effect even if your PC is knocked out?

2. How do DMs deal with a rules argument at the table?

Darkwolf71

First Post
My first thought is no, but I would have to read up on stances in general to be sure.

If we have an argument at the table and no one is able to back up their side within a reasonable time frame, I make a call and we move on. If it turns out that I was wrong, I'm man enough to admit it, but the game needs to move on whenever possible. Hopefully this doesn't ever get anyone killed. ;)

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
1. I would have ruled no as DM.

2. Give a minute for arguments to be marshalled and make a decision. If no clear decision then DM gets to call for that occasion and we'll have a longer discussion afterwards.

DracoSuave

First Post
He still has the stance which grants him the regeneration. A stance lasts until the end of the encounter.

However, being unconscious from hp<0, regeneration does not work and therefore it doesn't matter if the stance works or not. But once the warlord heals him, he'll be right back up again, and back in his stance.

Goumindong

First Post
I haven't done an complete search, but:

PHB Pg 55 said:
Stance: A stance power lasts until the end of the encounter, for 5 minutes, or until you use another stance power.

It doesn't say anything about being unconscious removing it.

That being said, i don't think anyone will slight you for ruling that stances do not apply when unconscious[in the case of something that would normally work when unconscious]

Squire James

First Post
My gut feeling would tell me that it's pretty hard to hold a stance when you're collapsed on the ground thinking of taking a dirt nap. Other aspects of the game similarly defy logic, though (like the idea of Sweeping Whirlwind pushing Gargantuan creatures 2 squares and knocking them prone), so that alone is not enough for me.

However, the Regeneration ability itself does not work while unconscious, and most of the other stances depend on the user being able to make opportunity attacks (which is clearly not the case for unconscious characters). So, my ruling would be that the stance is still ongoing while the character is unconscious, but that it will not function as desired until consciousness is regained.

Mahali

Explorer
However, the Regeneration ability itself does not work while unconscious,
Sure it does. It just doesn't work if you're at 0 HP or less.

The only way in the rules to end a Stance is to choose to end it, the Encounter ends, 5 minutes passes, or you use another stance.

That One Guy

First Post
He still has the stance which grants him the regeneration. A stance lasts until the end of the encounter.

However, being unconscious from hp<0, regeneration does not work and therefore it doesn't matter if the stance works or not. But once the warlord heals him, he'll be right back up again, and back in his stance.
agreed.

This, to me, is one of those instances where it's up to the DM to make whatever ruling he feels is most appropriate, so long as he's consistent. In my case, I'd rule that no, you don't maintain the stance when unconscious. The rules may not say that specifically, but that's the sort of judgment call that I think falls firmly within the DM's purview without even qualifying as "house rules."

Remove ads