• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Can a rogue train in longbow to gain proficiency?

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Daddy
Are there rules options for a character class to train for specific weapon proficiency? If anyone can point me to the rules reference.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
The only way in the rules is via the Weapon Master feat. Downtime training is only good for tools and languages.

A more common way to do it is to multiclass.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I'd point to the rule that says anything can happen if you can convince your DM it should. So it's start there. (Why is a shortbow not sufficient, would be my first question).

Last edited:

Sacrosanct

Legend
Train to be an elf, then you get Longbow for free.

Train to be an elf? You mean put on fake ears, tights, and go around acting all pretentious? ;)

But yeah, the only ways are:
*be a race that has it
* take the weapon master feat (that's the purpose of that feat to begin with)
* ask your DM and if they're OK with it, you're good.
* multiclass into a class that has it.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
You can train in the longbow as a tool but not a weapon, like as a tool to start fires, or if you play the viol and want to use a longer bow.

Miladoon

First Post
Not that I know. Keep in mind your PC can use any weapon. Being proficient means you get to add your PB to the attack roll. My wizard started out with a greatsword.

The only way in the rules is via the Weapon Master feat. Downtime training is only good for tools and languages.

A more common way to do it is to multiclass.

You can also get weapon proficiency via backgrounds. See for example the Gladiator variant of Entertainer background; a handy way to pick up Net proficiency on a rogue or monk.

Remove ads