• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Campaign themed dinner (drow)

I'll be launching a new campaign (focusing on a drow invasion). I love to cook. So I was thinking I'd provide a "drow feast" on the first day.

I'm posting for two reasons:

1. Any ideas on what dishes the drow would serve? As of now I plan on several mushroom dishes, using truffle oil, and a selection of veggies that grow underground (onions, garlic, potatoes). Additionall I plan to "repurpose" meats to represent either underdark animals or sentient races...I was thinking lamb and corned beef have unique enough flavors.

2. Anyone ever done anything like this? An all medieval theme, perhaps? Or, for al qadim Arabian dishes?

EDIT: I've compiled the suggestions (plus some additional ones) thus far here:
http://www.enworld.org/forum/5121638-post19.html

Last edited:

radja

First Post
seems to me meat would be in short supply in an underground setting. fish or shellfish however are fairly common in underground lakes. sentient races are probably more valuable as slaves than as food.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
For a Deadlands mini-campaign we did once, my wife researched and prepared a meal for the group in the Old West / Little House on the Prairie style. Most of the foods were recognizable, but the spicing on many things was notably different.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Lamb would definitely work for rothé. Other than that, you'll get some really good ideas from a visit to a Whole Foods market, if you have them in your area. Although I grew up in Boston and Wareham, it's been so long I have no idea what stores are around you.

You can also use some exotic, mold-covered cheeses. These will be expensive, probably $15-20 per pound, but you only need a quarter pound or so to work for a group of 7-ish people. I disagree that ocean-based seafood like scallops or oysters would really work. Crawfish, however, definitely would work.

Another thing you could do just to make things obviously weird is make "normal" foods using other normal foods. For example, make mashed potatoes using cauliflower. No, really, this actually works pretty well in terms of texture but has a different flavor. If you also mix in some boiled white mushrooms it would give it an even earthier flavor that will totally stifle your guests.

Good luck!

Aeolius

Adventurer
meatloaf, perhaps?
red_topdown.jpg

with potatoes, of course.
JGALATIOTO_blue_potato_img_0056_1.jpg

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
For a Deadlands mini-campaign we did once, my wife researched and prepared a meal for the group in the Old West / Little House on the Prairie style. Most of the foods were recognizable, but the spicing on many things was notably different.

For my Age of Worms campaign my wife recreated the dinner from the dinner party, including the "exotic delicacies" presented in the module. It was all mundane foods, but put together in unexpected ways. Best. Session. Ever.

diaglo

Adventurer
back a few years now. at the end of one session the group recovered some owl bear eggs. one of the eggs was unfertilized.

so for next session we had an omelet party.

the pcs ate the unfertilized owlbear egg and their players ate unfertilized chicken ones. ;)

next to last session the party magic user gave an elven village a chicken.
so for the session i did chicken wings.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads