• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Build Advice for Draconic Sorcerer

Vitor Bastos

Explorer
How would you build a Draconic Sorcerer?
  • Using Standard Array (15-14-13-12-10-8).
  • No Multiclassing.
  • PHB only.
  • Campaign Level 1 to 12.
Basically, I wanna build a Blaster that can dish a lot of damage and have some sort of CC. Also taking advantage of that CHA on social situations.
Im imagining something similar to my Mage on Classic WoW.
  1. Race?
  2. Background?
  3. Ability Scores?
  4. Spells?
  5. Feats/ASIs?
  6. Equipment/Weapons?

Esker

Hero
1. Half-elf or variant human would be the strongest races mechanically. With standard array you I'd probably lean toward half-elf in this case, since that lets you start with 16 in CHA, DEX, and CON, and an extra skill (darkvision is nice too). If you go human I'd get 16 CHA and 14 DEX and CON, and probably take Lucky or Alert as your feat. Maybe unless there's nobody who can cast rituals, in which case you might want to do ritual caster (Wizard) for some utility (start with Find Familiar and either Detect Magic or Comprehend Languages).

2. Whatever suits your idea of who the character is. Sorcerer can already get all the social skills, so you don't have to pick something that grants those.

3. Definitely start with 16 CHA as your highest priority, followed by DEX, followed by CON. The bottom three you can arrange however, but I'd put the 12 in WIS, for perception and a more common save.

4. At low levels you might consider skipping the blasting and taking spells like Sleep and Web, and transition to more full-time blasting once you can get fireball (be sure to swap out Sleep for something else around level 3 or so if you go this route). If you want just a little CC, Web is strong on its own merits, but also has the nice synergy with fire spells that you can torch it if you want. I'd probably do something like:

Cantrips (1st): Firebolt, Minor Illusion, Friends, Prestidigitation
Level 1: +Sleep, +Shield
Level 2: +Disguise Self
Level 3: +Web, -Sleep, +Shatter
Level 4: +Control Flames, +Mirror Image or Misty Step
Level 5: +Fireball, -Shatter, +Hypnotic Pattern
Level 6: +Thunder Step
Level 7: +Polymorph
Level 8: +Wall of Fire
Level 9: +Animate Objects
Level 10: +Shocking Grasp, -Polymorph, +Hold Monster (if taking Heightened)
Level 11: +Chain Lightning, -Polymorph, +Mass Suggestion (if taking Subtle)
Level 12: ---

taking Empowered Spell and ... probably Quicken at 3rd, then Subtle or Heighten at 10th. But I wouldn't use Quicken to add a cantrip to your turn; save it for situations when you might really need to dash or dodge or something like that. You could even consider taking something like Eyebite or Sunbeam at high levels, and leveraging Quicken to keep casting other spells even as you use your action to keep triggering those. Subtle is lovely for many reasons; I'd take it at lower levels if I wanted to use spells in social situations, but this is primarily a combat caster, so it will be more useful for you at higher levels once you start facing more casters with counterspell, etc.

5. For feats, I'd probably get CHA to 18 at 4th then take elemental adept (fire) at 8th (resistance isn't super common at lower levels, unless you're playing Avernus, but if you're playing Avernus don't be a draconic sorcerer), but there's a strong case for Alert too, to help get your AoEs off before your allies are mixed in. At 12th probably just finish maxing CHA.

6. Probably use a light crossbow primarily until level 5, at which point switch to fire bolt. (But have fire bolt earlier in case you run up against something with resistance to non-magical piercing.) Pick up a couple daggers in case you get caught in melee. You have no need for armor or shields. You might want to get a healer's kit, since with Quicken Spell you can cast a spell and go stabilize somebody if needed. Might not ever come up unless healing is scarce in your party, but they're cheap and it can't hurt.

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
@Esker put together a good build here for what you'd asked about I think.

Basically did all the things I'd have done for this idea except maybe some different spells here or there.

The only thing I'd add for the background is that being a Noble usually helps in most social situations, so having that as your background is nice.

MonkeezOnFire

Adventurer
Seconding that the above build looks very solid, but I thought I'd throw in some thoughts from my experience playing a sorcerer.

At low level Chromatic Orb can be quite powerful if you do want some blast at low levels. With variable damage type it even can fit into your draconic theme. It's even more devastating if you take twinned spell metamagic. However, since you said you want to focus primarily on blast I can't recommend twinned spell as it isn't usable with many blast spells. It's more used for control, debuff and buff spells.

If you plan to usually have some terrain hazard spell like Web up then Thunderwave gains use for it's forced movement purpose (it's damage is lackluster). Just be sure to combo it with spells that trigger at the start of the enemies turn instead of the end to guarantee its effect (so this doesn't work as well with Wall of Fire).

Ashrym

Legend
@Esker gave a solid build. You might consider quicken and careful as your first metamagics. Careful pairs well with non-party friendly AoE CC spells if you are going that route.

You definitely want to pair up the spells with metamagic so keep that in mind when selecting both.

Salthorae

Careful pairs well with non-party friendly AoE CC spells if you are going that route.

Careful is best for non-blasting spells though, something like Hypnotic Pattern, etc. for damaging spells it's really not great because your party is still taking half-damage which is not great.

I don't know about Heighten at 10th... it's ok but expensive. Again more for builds that are focused on getting people to fail saves (hold person, charm, web, etc) more than blasting.

Twin is a good option if you're doing single target stuff like Chromatic Orb. 1 sorcery point to do 6d8 damage with a 1st level slot is pretty nice.

Ashrym

Legend
Careful is best for non-blasting spells though, something like Hypnotic Pattern, etc. for damaging spells it's really not great because your party is still taking half-damage which is not great.

I don't know about Heighten at 10th... it's ok but expensive. Again more for builds that are focused on getting people to fail saves (hold person, charm, web, etc) more than blasting.

Twin is a good option if you're doing single target stuff like Chromatic Orb. 1 sorcery point to do 6d8 damage with a 1st level slot is pretty nice.

When I say AoE CC that refers to status effects as opposed to AoE damage.

Salthorae

Ok, I missed the "CC" part when I read your post!

Either way, the OP asked about a "blaster with social skills", so Careful doesn't really mesh with that concept.

Esker

Hero

There are depressingly few AoE spells that give a single save on the turn you cast it and don't do anything on a successful save. It's Hypnotic Pattern and Fear, and then ... Confusion, but that's just a worse HP, and Reverse Gravity, but that's too high level for this campaign. I think that's it? That said, HP is so good that it might be worth taking Careful just for that.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads