• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Buffy question

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
We just started rewatching Buffy season 1.

In the fourth episode, Teacher's Pet, Angel gives Buffy his jacket at The Bronze. He's wearing a chain around his neck that goes under his shirt... and it looks a whole lot like there's a cross on the end of it.

Had Joss already decided by this point that Angel was a vampire? Or did that maybe get added after?

-Hyp.

RichCsigs

First Post
Joss has always said that he had concieved Angel as a vampire from the beginning but there is enough cercumstantial evidence out there that a lot of fans don't believe that to be the case. My personal belief is that Joss may be speaking the truth, but that he didn't tell other people (directors, costumers, etc.) which is why you see Angel early on wearing crosses or standing in sunlight.

SteelDraco

First Post
While it's most likely an exercise in making excuses, I can actually see Angel wearing a cross as an act of contrition. Sort of like wearing a hair shirt, only more extreme.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
SteelDraco said:
While it's most likely an exercise in making excuses, I can actually see Angel wearing a cross as an act of contrition. Sort of like wearing a hair shirt, only more extreme.
[sblock=A certain character in comic books does that!]The Confessor, in Astro City, is a Batman-like superhero, who also happens to be a vampire and a former Catholic priest.[/sblock]

SteelDraco

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
[sblock=A certain character in comic books does that!]The Confessor, in Astro City, is a Batman-like superhero, who also happens to be a vampire and a former Catholic priest.[/sblock]
Haha. True. That's one of my favorite comic TPBs, actually.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
SteelDraco said:

Well, sure, but we looked for smoke and couldn't see any ;)

-Hyp.

Vigilance

Explorer
RichCsigs said:
Joss has always said that he had concieved Angel as a vampire from the beginning but there is enough cercumstantial evidence out there that a lot of fans don't believe that to be the case. My personal belief is that Joss may be speaking the truth, but that he didn't tell other people (directors, costumers, etc.) which is why you see Angel early on wearing crosses or standing in sunlight.

Well, Joss has said that he was still working out the "rules" for vampires in the early run of the show, so maybe he hadn't yet decided whether sunlight would be harmful, or crosses, even though Angel was a vampire.

I could see it either way myself, though in the pilot his relationship with Darla and the Master seems established to me.

Also, as for sunlight, they play fast and loose with that on many occasions in the Buffy/Angel run, mostly for reasons of practicality.

Klaus

First Post
Vigilance said:
Well, Joss has said that he was still working out the "rules" for vampires in the early run of the show, so maybe he hadn't yet decided whether sunlight would be harmful, or crosses, even though Angel was a vampire.

I could see it either way myself, though in the pilot his relationship with Darla and the Master seems established to me.

Also, as for sunlight, they play fast and loose with that on many occasions in the Buffy/Angel run, mostly for reasons of practicality.
Yeah. In the Buffyverse, direct sunlight burns a vampire, but they often get around that by being shaded (Spike often covered himself in his trenchcoat to run to and from a building, and he had an old muscle car with the windows painted black so he could drive around all day long).

Which begs the question of why would Angel and his ilk go to California and not, say, Seattle. :D

Vigilance

Explorer
Klaus said:
Yeah. In the Buffyverse, direct sunlight burns a vampire, but they often get around that by being shaded (Spike often covered himself in his trenchcoat to run to and from a building, and he had an old muscle car with the windows painted black so he could drive around all day long).

Which begs the question of why would Angel and his ilk go to California and not, say, Seattle. :D

Because the film industry is in California? ;)

Also, I think Joss just loved the idea of him being in the City of Angels, hence the title of the pilot, "City of..."

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads