• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Brainstorming a new monk archetype: Archon

Mistah J

First Post
Hey folks,

I'm just looking for some ideas on how a monk archetype based on the LG Outsiders would differ from the regular monk class.

Things that come to my mind include:
- Switching ki strike (adamantine) to ki strike (silver)
- Giving the monk the Archon Aura of Menace ability but I don't know what that should replace

So, what would you do? Any feedback or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

SkredlitheOgre

Explorer
Personally, I would replace the Diamond Body with the Aura of Menace, with the DC based off of Charisma. But then, my campaigns don't really have a lot of poison in them.

DumbPaladin

First Post
Just my random thoughts:

-- Ki strike (adamantine) is one of the more useful monk ki strikes. Maybe (magic) can be switched out for (silver)? Why not switch out the ability to gain a +4 dodge bonus to AC to activate your aura of menace, as stated in the ki pool ability? This would grant you the ability to do so at level 4. (The remaining ki pool abilities at level 4 would stay the same.)

-- At 11th level, instead of Diamond Body, gain immunity to electricity and petrification?

-- At 12th level, instead of Abundant Step, gain Truespeech (as if tongues were cast upon you)?

-- At 15th level, gain greater teleport as the archon ability at caster level equal to one-half your monk level, but it costs 4 ki points, and you cannot take any other creatures with you. This replaces Quivering Palm. If you still want this monk to have Quivering Palm, give it back at 17th by replacing Tongue of the Sun and the Moon. Otherwise, give a new interesting archon-like ability at 17th level.

-- Do you want the archon monk to be able to gain darkvision? Mimic any specific archon's unique abilities?

Mistah J

First Post
Thanks for the thoughts,

Working on it some more, I'm started looking at incorporating the Archon subtype traits into the monk class. They are as follows:

Aura of Menace - which is a -2 attacks, AC, and saves to enemies within 20ft.
Immunity to electricity and petrification
+4 on svaes vs. poison
Teleport at will
Truespeech - effectively a constant tongues spell.

Using these as a start point I decided that the +4 vs poison is not needed if I keep Diamond body and Truespeech is already covered by Tongue of the Sun and Moon.

I was going to replace Abundant Step with the aura of menace but with the Archon ability to teleport I'm now not so sure.

Empty body is another one that can be replaced but I'm not sure what. Maybe some kind of "Archon form" that gives them wings and a flight speed?

I am going to change Perfect Self so that instead of DR 10/chaotic, it is DR 10/evil - but I think that's a little easier to bypass so I may want to add a secondary benefit.

I also wanted to change Quivering Palm to something a little more "righteous" but all I can think of is giving them a smite evil progression. It is exactly what I want but I can't help but think it's a little contrived to tack on someone else's class feature.

So as you can see, I'm still open to suggestions

Remove ads