• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bigby's Hand Spells and Grappling

gfunk

First Post
In reference to the Bigby's Hand spell's that can grapple, do these grappling attempts provoke AoO as normal? And if so, does a successful attack negate the grapple? If this were the case, Bigby's grasping hand (Sor/Wiz 9) is incredibly weak. What creature couldn't strike AC 20 when Level 17+?

ogre

First Post
I wonder why no one has replyed yet. It seems like a really good question. Wish I knew the answer.
My take, but being too lazy to read the spell, would be.
No, it doesn't provoke, and no a successful attack doesn't negate to grapple attempt.
There, now the spell seems reasonably good.

hong

WotC's bitch
The spells use the grappling rules, and by the book grappling provokes an AoO. Thus the spells provoke AoOs, and furthermore, if the AoO is successful, no grapple.

As you say, however, this makes the spells pretty weak for their level. What you could do is rule that the AoO doesn't prevent the grapple, unlike with normal attackers. You could handwave this away by saying that the hand is a magical construct, and doesn't have a real sense of self-preservation. So even if someone hacks off a finger, it keeps coming.

Jeremy

Explorer
To encourage people to choose these spells over say forcecage or disintegrate, I've house ruled them to have improved grab. Any comparable summoned creature of this type and purpose would have the same ability, so when Bigby was researching these spells he accounted for that too, hence the high level of the spells.

So IMC they do not provoke AofO's unless the target has reach or the Close Quarters Fighting feat from Sword & Fist.

Remove ads