• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best space marines system?

Korgoth

First Post
3:16 Carnage Among the Stars is pretty great. You can write a campaign in an afternoon.

It's military SF ala Starship Troopers. There's a surprising amount you can do with it, given that it's an indie game (many of which use the mechanics to funnel you into a particular play style). Though there is a repetition of: Land on planet, engage hostiles, problems arise, deal with them, eradicate all alien life on planet. But that's what the game is mostly about, and you can do plenty of other stuff besides that. Those are the action scenes between which the interpersonal stuff will happen, just like in a military novel.

There's also a cool checklist of all the different planetary types (ice world, radioactive, etc.), alien types (bug, mutant, android, etc.) and alien special powers (ambush, leap, etc.). The checklist keeps the GM honest because he's not supposed to double up on anything. It's like a reverse character sheet: it tells the GM what options he no longer has. Fun because it forces variety.

I have only run one session of it but it was a blast.

Loconius

Explorer
I guess I didn't mention what I was intending for it for a Starcraft 2 style penal trooper like the intro movie. All the players would be felons encased in their armor. Te focus would be on these felons overcoming military problems and being treated as smart machines and coping with these new mobile prisons...

Loconius

Explorer
I own almost all the traveller mongoose line, dark heresy. Minisix and old and new starwars (every d20 rulebook made). I have heavy gear, savage worlds, fate... I can get ahold of just about any other game of course if it seems to do this idea really well!

Achan hiArusa

Explorer
I ran a Bughunters game using new World of Darkness and it ran pretty well. The only problem is that after converting the weapons they were weaker than the Arsenal Weapons. With Trinity you can supplement with High-Tech Equipment (especially if you have the Technology Guide).

I converted the Synths over with +1 to all Physical and Mental Stats and 150% of their Health derived from Stamina. I allowed one cybershell using the Promethean rules, a Psychic using Second Sight, and I used the beasties from Changeling, the Justifier's Ruleset, and Transhuman Space to create Anthropomorphic creatures.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads