• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bendy Dungeon Walls?

Drkfathr1

First Post
Can anyone give me any info on the Bendy Dungeon Walls from Dungeon Life that were on sale at Gencon? I've seen several mentions of them in various blogs, but can't really find any info on them anywhere. Google searches have been futile thus far!

Morland

First Post
Good idea, poor implementation

I stopped and took a look at these at the con a few times...there were basically soft plastic walls that lock together. They have tiny feet, so they stand up fairly well, but straight sections tended to fall down. My main beefs were (1) they were too short, and (2) they were overpriced, and (3)the look wasn't quite there. They seemed to be made of the pretty cheap plastic, and the paint job was poor. I'd say it was a good idea, poorly executed. Had the implementation been better, or the price lower given the quality, I would have purchased a few sets.

I have a couple sets as they are good for convention play. They have separate doors that are freestanding. You can link them together to form walls. Each set was $20 and included 50 pieces. 42 wall sections and 8 doors. I haven't had a chance to try them out in play yet, but the sets I tried at the convention seemed decent. Given that they are very flexible, I'm not concerned that they are thin plastic. I do expect them to wear out, but they are correctly scaled and help improve the third dimension of a surface, which is one of my dislikes about "flat" gaming with a paper map or tact-tiles.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I have a set. I haven't tried them in a game yet, but messing around with them has impressed me. I think they're both cool and useful.

Xath

Moder-gator
I have a set and I like them, but several of my walls were broken when I opened my package. So I question how they'll hold up in the long run.

I second Xath -- I like them, but a couple of my hinge clips were broken. Not a big deal in my mind, but I haven't used them in actual play yet.

In a semi-unrelated topic, although I don't see it anywhere on the Dark Platypus website, there was a gorgeous gelatinous cube mini at the Con booth along with the Bendy Dungeon Walls. Unfortunately, it was $17 just for that mini, so I had to pass...

Jeff Wilder

First Post
I got a set as swag for DMing the Goodman Games tournament, and another set at a steep discount when I stopped by the booth to thank the maker. (If you heard C-3PO's voice just now, you're a huge geek.)

Each set contains about 45 one-inch walls -- hinges on one side, posts on the other -- that link together and stand in strings. As the name implies, the strings of walls are bendable at the hinges, theoretically making for fast set-up. Each wall piece is molded of gray plastic in a flagstone pattern. There's no paint-job to speak of. Each set also contains five -- not eight, as mentioned above -- free-standing doors. One set is enough to make -- approximately -- two 20 foot by 30 foot rooms, with doors, and a 30 foot connecting corridor.

The same product was offered in metal at last year's GenCon for $50 a set.

I haven't tried these in a game yet (will be on Saturday or Sunday), but I suspect they'll work out pretty well, though I'm not certain they'll add enough to make even the easy set-up worthwhile.

Also, there's substantial pre-use time, if you want the best possible hinge-post fit. I spent about 45 minutes at GenCon using a sharp pocket knife to clear flash out of posts and shave down hinges so that there would be full range of motion. (If you don't do this, the hinges will slip from the posts at angles approaching 90 degrees, or possibly even break.)

Are they worth $20 a set? Well, I can't know for certain, but my initial thought is "probably not." On the other hand, I'll be surprised if I don't find them worth $10 a set, and I wouldn't be too surprised if I find myself willing to go a higher.

Remove ads