• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Beast Shape]How to druids attack?

glass

(he, him)
As mentioned in another thread, I'm getting going with Pathfinder soon, and mostly it makes a lot of sense. I really like the new Beast Shape spells, etc, except for one small thing:

Lets say you turn into a wolf. You obviously can't use human weapons anymore, since you don't have any hands, but you don't seem to gain any of the attacks of your assumed form. Even more bizarrely, higher level version allow you to gain Rake, Pounce, etc, but still don't seem to give you any attacks to use them with.

Am I missing something, or is there an oversite with in the spell descriptions. Since one the converted characters is a druid, this could be quite important!

glass.

GlassEye

Adventurer
In short, the base benefits of polymorph spells (which Beast Shape is) are described in the magic chapter and include natural attacks.

However, this is something that I feel is a major issue. I'm running a PF game with a pc druid and in order to manage wild shape we had to check through about six different locations* to get the whole picture of how wild shape works. This information needs to be compiled.

I started work on this myself. I'll post the base of what we've put together and I hope that it will help make your job easier.

Basics
Action: Standard action; no AoO.
Duration: 1 hour per druid level.
Abilities:
Disguise +20 to pass as the animal.
Other abilities as granted by the spell up to the form's maximum ability.
Attacks: Natural attacks of the form modified by character's BAB, Str & Dex
Size change: Modifiers applied to AC, attack, CMB, and Stealth skill
Gear: Melds into body; constant bonus that don't need activation still count (excluding armor).

Large Creatures
+4 Str, -2 Dex, +4 natural armor
-1 AC & attack, +1 CMB, and -4 Stealth

Medium Creatures
+2 Str, +2 natural armor

Small Creatures
+2 Dex, +1 natural armor
+1 AC & attack, -1 CMB, and +4 Stealth

Tiny Creatures
+4 Dex, -2 Str, +1 natural armor
+2 AC & attack, -2 CMB, and +8 Stealth
Reach: 0 feet

*PF Wild Shape sources:
Druid wild shape, pg.25-26
Transmutation/Polymorph explanation, pg. 159-160
Size modifiers, pg. 150, 160
Beast Shape spells, pg. 202-203
Elemental Body spells, pg. 224-225
Specific animals: Dire Animal & Animal sections, MM (and wherever animals are detailed)
+ I'm sure I missed a couple of spots

Last edited:

GlassEye

Adventurer
Actually the Transmutation/Polymorph pages are 211-212

That's true for the Core Rulebook now. It wasn't a year+ ago in the Alpha or Beta, whichever one I was writing about at the time. All of those pages I listed are wrong now, I'm sure. Thanks for the update.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads