• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Basic Steampunk Items

Samloyal23

Adventurer
What would you consider standard items in a steampunk campaign? What basic items can define the genre and give the campaign flavour? Let's make a list...

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I’m thinking most of the stuff for eyes- “lens of ______” or “goggles of _______” would work.

So would a lot of clothing. Boots, capes, cloaks and caps, for sure. Any rapier or smallsword concealed in a cane.

...which makes me think that any of the wands, rods or staves that could be used as a gentleman’s cane would be good as well.

Samloyal23

Adventurer
Wands and cloaks and such could be reflavoured to be more steampunk, but I am thinking in terms of standard mechanical items...

Celebrim

Legend
I've long held that the typical D&D setting is basically the 19th century stripped of some of its technology, so all you have to do is put the normal technology back.

For weapons that means - flintlock rifles, muskets, and pistols, bayonets, and primitive black powder grenades. In equipment that means pocket watches, compasses, binoculars, telescopes, magnifying glasses, microscopes, acetylene and kerosene lanterns. Possibly also thermometers, tape measures, and primitive cameras depending on what sort of problems you are trying to solve. For vehicles that means bicycles, balloons and zeppelins. Keep an eye on the level of firearms you want to use, as early 19th century firearms are much less capable than mid-19th century or late 19th century firearms, particularly when it comes to rates of fire. Do you want flint lock pistols or black powder revolvers?

Real 19th century technology was not particularly portable, so most of the things that make something steampunk are large industrial devices. A perusal of a Sears Catalog from the later part of the century will show much stuff of very practical use but which is hardly romantic or of much interest to adventures. All the really cool stuff that shows up in the fantasies is going to shade off into magic, as it will be experimental, prototypes, and the product of mad scientists, so unless you are running the equivalent of a high magic campaign, much of that will be stuff that the party will have to find or manufacture themselves.

IMO, true Steampunk tends to stick to more realistic consequences of a world were Babbage engines replace Jaquard looms and you have comparatively sophisticated automation going on during the industrial revolution and a number of inventions which didn't really become practical until electricity and diesel were around are invented before those power sources are really mastered. That is to say I tend to see true Steampunk as a plausible alternate history genera. What mostly you see these days under the guise of "steampunk" is a fantasy setting where magic wears industrial revolution garb in much the same way that Star Wars is a fantasy setting wearing far future garb. The thing about fantasy settings is that they need neither plausible nor internally consistent technology. If you want a 'steampunk' setting where lots of people are cyborgs wearing crude looking but entirely effective cybernetic implants and somehow the "miniature steam powered furnaces" that power those things don't actually get hot and cook the wearers or the things are all powered by "springs (don't think about it)" and yet the all metal mechanical arm doesn't weigh as much as a lawnmower, then go for it.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Steampunk Wand of Magic Missile
steampunk-pistol-br-the-cod-disruptor-173-p.jpg

Steampunk Instrument of Charming
steampunk-guitar-1.jpg

Steampunk Helm of Underwater Action
0c832e546b80b41bc25ea10b379a6827.jpg

Last edited:

Samloyal23

Adventurer
I've long held that the typical D&D setting is basically the 19th century stripped of some of its technology, so all you have to do is put the normal technology back.

For weapons that means - flintlock rifles, muskets, and pistols, bayonets, and primitive black powder grenades. In equipment that means pocket watches, compasses, binoculars, telescopes, magnifying glasses, microscopes, acetylene and kerosene lanterns. Possibly also thermometers, tape measures, and primitive cameras depending on what sort of problems you are trying to solve. For vehicles that means bicycles, balloons and zeppelins. Keep an eye on the level of firearms you want to use, as early 19th century firearms are much less capable than mid-19th century or late 19th century firearms, particularly when it comes to rates of fire. Do you want flint lock pistols or black powder revolvers?

Real 19th century technology was not particularly portable, so most of the things that make something steampunk are large industrial devices. A perusal of a Sears Catalog from the later part of the century will show much stuff of very practical use but which is hardly romantic or of much interest to adventures. All the really cool stuff that shows up in the fantasies is going to shade off into magic, as it will be experimental, prototypes, and the product of mad scientists, so unless you are running the equivalent of a high magic campaign, much of that will be stuff that the party will have to find or manufacture themselves.

IMO, true Steampunk tends to stick to more realistic consequences of a world were Babbage engines replace Jaquard looms and you have comparatively sophisticated automation going on during the industrial revolution and a number of inventions which didn't really become practical until electricity and diesel were around are invented before those power sources are really mastered. That is to say I tend to see true Steampunk as a plausible alternate history genera. What mostly you see these days under the guise of "steampunk" is a fantasy setting where magic wears industrial revolution garb in much the same way that Star Wars is a fantasy setting wearing far future garb. The thing about fantasy settings is that they need neither plausible nor internally consistent technology. If you want a 'steampunk' setting where lots of people are cyborgs wearing crude looking but entirely effective cybernetic implants and somehow the "miniature steam powered furnaces" that power those things don't actually get hot and cook the wearers or the things are all powered by "springs (don't think about it)" and yet the all metal mechanical arm doesn't weigh as much as a lawnmower, then go for it.

I am working on a campaign in which one city-state, ruled mostly by dwarves, has to use steam power because casting spells takes to long due to an anti-magical ore in the mountain they live inside of, giving them the impetus to develop some technology. So, more fantasy than your pure steampunk, but I want somewhat realistic steampowered device for them.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads