• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Back in the DM saddle after many years. I need gaming map advice - PLEASE HELP

buddhafrog

First Post
I'm back in the DM saddle, preparing to run a game for my 10 year old and his friends. Very excited.
I haven't DM'd in many years. At that time I had all the Paizo gaming maps, all the minis, etc. Sold them all when we moved. Decided this time I will streamline the game, put more emphasis in story telling and less focus (and money) in materials.
I plan to use just one map and draw on it. I need your advice on which map. I want it to:

• stay flat
  • be durable
Would prefer but not required:

• double-sided
  • prefer grid only, not hex
  • prefer different terrain on the different sides
  • ease of marker use
I've only used graph paper and Paizo maps, but I can't stand the folds/creases in the Paizo maps. The art is so fantastic, but I can't deal with the creases. The different methods to flatten Paizo maps weren't good enough for me. We will always play at my house so portability is not important. When I used them last I would put them in top-loading poster sleeves (similar to top-loading hard cases for cards). This kept them flat but had other problems I don't want.
I am leaning towards the Chessex 24x36 gaming map though I've never seen them used. But will it stay flat? That is my big concern. Is there a different rolled map that you like better for different reasons?
Thanks so much for helping this old gamer get his roll back.

hawkeyefan

Legend
I’ve had a Chessex for years. It curls a little if left rolled for long periods of time, but we pin the corners with books and then it flattens. Mine is two sided, one grid and one hexes. I would recommend this map for sure. It is very durable.

It has no terrain, but you can draw whatever you need right on it. We use Expo wet erase markers on it, black only. I’ve seen some color markers leave a faint trace even after being erased. So be careful of what markers you use. Test them out on a corner and let the ibk stay for a couple days and then try and erase and see how it goes.

I believe that Chessex offers a reduced price for “factory imperfect” maps. That’s what I got and the only imperfection is a heavy stitch near the edge of the map on one side, that runs for about 4 inches. It’s outside the grid, do it doesn’t even matter. My understanding is that the imperfections are all of this kind of magnitude, but I can’t say that for certain. They could be more severe. I only mention it because I think I saved about $20 on mine by taking that risk.

It’s definitely a solid option and I think it fits most of your preferences, except you have to draw twrrain yourself.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
A second the recommendation for Chessex battlemaps. They are expensive but have very high reusability.

But if you go this route, banish dry erase markers and sharpies from being in the same room. Buy a lot of wet erase markers in various colors.

For travel, the new DnD Adventure Grid is handy and takes dry and wet erase, so JUST get wet erase. Even if you can use dry erase, it sucks. It smudges easy. And if you use both wet and dry erase you are eventually going to mix them up and use dry erase markers on your Chessex battlemap.

Inevitably, someone will take a dry erase or sharpie to your expensive Chessex battle map. Chessex states that they don't know of any way to get it off.

How to D&D tested many of the way people claim you can remove permanent marker from a Chessex battlemap. The only solution that worked for him was Methylated Spirits.

Note that when you first get the map, having been stored rolled up, it will curl. But eventually it will relax and lay flat.

Another option is to get a battle map, or gaming paper, and lay it on your table and put glass or an acrylic sheet over it.

ccs

41st lv DM
Absolutely recommend the Chessex matts. 100% you'll have a hard time spending $ better.
And I agree, banish dry erase & sharpies from the room.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Yet another vote for Chessex. I’ve got several and have been using them for years. One DOES have a permanent river on it- that became a running gag.

Chessex all the way. Two caveats on the many-colors-of-wet-erase-markers:

1. Wipe the map clean between games. Leaving marker on the map for extended periods will make the lines difficult to remove.

2. NEVER use red wet-erase markers on Chessex maps. I learned this the hard way, and I still have not-so-faint red marks on my biggest map from a game session over ten years ago.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I am leaning towards the Chessex 24x36 gaming map though I've never seen them used. But will it stay flat? That is my big concern. Is there a different rolled map that you like better for different reasons?
I've been using Chessex battlemats since the mid 80s, when we played a lot of Champions! on the hex versions. They stay much flatter than the Paizo folding flip-mats, much more easily - single sided stay a tad better than double, because they have a textured underside, but IDK if they even still make those.
Wet-erase works better than dry erase, but be careful what you clean them up with, just plain water is safest.

Last edited:

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Chessex all the way. Two caveats on the many-colors-of-wet-erase-markers:

1. Wipe the map clean between games. Leaving marker on the map for extended periods will make the lines difficult to remove.

2. NEVER use red wet-erase markers on Chessex maps. I learned this the hard way, and I still have not-so-faint red marks on my biggest map from a game session over ten years ago.

Yes, wipe after games. Even after the encounter if possible, especially if your games are long. That said, with black wet-erase, I've left marks on for days and they still came off.

I only partially agree about red wet-erase. I use Expo Vis-a-Vis brand wet erase markers. I use red a lot. They erase. But, yes, the whole mat does have a very slight reddish hue after years of battles. But, seems appropriate for a battlemap.

Also, forgot to mention this before, but Matt Colville has an excellent video that discussed Chessex mats and other options. See "Terrain! Running the Game #20"

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads