Artist Tony DiTerlizzi Reflects On 25 Years of Planescape

Renowned artist Tony DiTerlizzi took to Twitter to look back at some of his original Planescape sketches and art.

Renowned artist Tony DiTerlizzi took to Twitter to look back at some of his original Planescape sketches and art.

Each image below is a link to a single tweet containing 3-4 images. Click on each to see them all!

"It’s hard to believe D&D’s “Planescape” is 25 years old. I don’t have many preliminary sketches as the tight deadlines had me going straight to final art. It was an exhilarating time in my career. My energy and enthusiasm knew no bounds."

Dw9rkfBWwAABmFf.jpg

"More developmental sketches from the D&D “Planescape” campaign boxed set 1993-94:"

Dw-hd8wXQAImzuo.jpg

"In the fall of 1993, I’d been sent a pile of copies of Dana Knutson’s concepts to work from. Sadly none can be found in my files, though I do have this early (perhaps first) drawing of a tiefling."

Dw-iFgEXgAEhaiH.jpg

"...and here are several more. Some of these “flavor sketches” (like the Skeksis-ripoff) were ultimately published to fill spaces in the booklets."

Dw_aWxEWsAApRYk.jpg

"The 25th Anniversary of D&D’s “Planescape” continues with more preliminary sketches and the start of finished illustrations. You can see how the sketches developed into finished pen & ink drawings."

DxCrq9zWkAAQjYl.jpg

"Also seen are more of Dana Knutson’s concepts (from “The Planescape Sketchbook”) and photo reference of my bride-to-be."

DxCr3nsW0AIPYqr.jpg

"...and some original art from 1983’s “AD&D Monster Manual II” showing the original design of the Modrons alongside my 1994 reinterpretation. I’m delighted to see these weird little guys are a part of 5th edition."

DxCsJ0JXgAYyiJi.jpg

"Lastly, Interior art—including some of the two-color art, which remained tricky to print throughout production. I’ve tried to find pieces that were not printed in [Dark Horse Comics] “Realms: The RPG Art of Tony DiTerlizzi”, which collects many of my finished Planescape pieces."

DxCs97UXcAEZnfI.jpg

murquhart72

Explorer
Always loved DiTerlizzi's work. It's like a cross between those old David the Gnome books and The Dark Crystal. In Search of Wondla was amazing! Few things say Germanic dark fairy tale like DiTerlizzi illustrations :)

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
I've always enjoyed DiTerlizzi's style. I feel so lucky to have been able to go to one of his book signings!

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
The art is one thing that TSR really did well. Tony DiTerlizzi really helped to define Planescape the same way that Brom defined Darksun.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Probably one of my favourite artists. I bought his book realms last year which contains a lot of his planescape artwork in it. He really did help set the tone for planescape to the point now where it is hard to think of planescape without thinking of his artwork.

dwayne

Adventurer
I would love to see a book to up date the planescape material to 5th edition, a complete races, factions, and all

orial

Explorer
Where do you read that? This is PLANESCAPE art. DiTerlizzi had nothing to do with Spelljammer. And crawford and cohort have clearly specified that there will be no Spelljammer this year?

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads