• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Artificer Homebrew

Having the armor properties activated would be much better. That way, it's like a reactive thing. You can have each one activate separately, but each requires a bonus action on the part of the wearer to activate. I really think, though, the bonus craft points is ridiculous, especially because the halved craft point requirements would allow someone to break down three Rare Magic Items and then proceed to make three Rare Magic Items, at least as written right now.

Engilbrand

First Post
Just to clarify: At 20th level, the character gets 10 Craft Points. You see an issue with the idea that he could break down 3 Rare items, which would give him an extra 6 Craft Points, and then spend his 16 Craft Points to make 4 Rare items. (I assume that you had a typo.)

At 20th level, I don't see a problem with this at all. It would take 3 days to break down those items, then 4 weeks and a lot of money to make new ones. Rare items are also level 7. He's level 20. If these are just upgrades from +1 to +2, then there are probably a lot better things that he could be doing. Honestly, I would see this more as the time when the characters truly cobble together what they have, decide what they no longer need, then give the Artificer the resources to drain a bunch of weak items so that he can maybe knock out a Legendary item in a month or so before the stars align and the Gates of Doom open up on that nice hamlet all of the characters were born in. Or something.
It's also worth keeping in mind that, like I said, anything other than basic bonuses should require something more. Some sort of quest or special item or something. Unless it's Eberron, the Artificer probably isn't just picking up ore, hitting with a hammer for a week, then handing the characters their requested Dragonbane Greatsword.

I think that I agree with you on Imbue Armor, though. The resistance should be activated and last for a minute, but I don't know if it should be chosen at the time it's Imbued, at the time it's activated, or if it's Reactive, meaning that it automatically turns on when the wearer would be damaged by something and make him resistant to that type of damage.

I'm not talking about the craft points he naturally has, I'm saying, as it's written, regardless how many craft points he has from class, with the Master of Artifice feature, he'll never have to worry about how many craft points he actually has. He can just break down a magic item and immediately build one of the same rarity. That's all an Artificer needs, extra craft points are pretty much useless at that point.

Engilbrand

First Post
Ah. I see what you're getting at. I don't know what happened, but that ability was something else entirely in my head. Fair enough. I can see that. I'll stick with the 10 Craft Points, but ditch the half-cost part.
I kept thinking that it was that the time required to craft an item was halved, not that all of the costs were.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads