D&D General Art Thread! What does a D&D wizard look like?

Reynard

Legend
ETA: I guess my joke wasn't funny or clear. Let's post awesome wizard images.

There seems to be some confusion over how a D&D wizard is supposed to look. So let's see if we can clear it up.
Geas-5e-DD.png

Last edited:

A wizard looks however I want it to look given the context of their world, specific magic system, and the character's own background. In most cases, it probably involves some kind of spellbook, but the spellbook can be tattoos, a magical tablet floating behind them, an actual book, a scroll case, etc. I'm also always looking to expand my visual vocabulary of concepts. If someone shows me something I hadn't expected and calls it a wizard, then my visual vocabulary has expanded. I prefer to be open-minded in this case, not close-minded, close-minded perspectives themselves being the antithesis of good art.

Distracted DM

Distracted DM
Supporter
I'm big into art as inspiration, so here are a few:

I do NOT think Left is a wizard- definitely more sorcerer. Right is a solid Wizard.
1711214621273.png

As far as modern art style wizards go, I think this is a great one:
1711214738954.png

Should warlock be a subclass of wizard in your mind? Well then, we can go to Dungeon Crawl Classics:
1711214784597.png

Finally, do you just like your Wizards weird and otherworldly?
1711214854162.png

I actually think Adventure Time did "weird wizards" well, too
1711214947768.png

1711214972117.png

I guess this needs to be said: It's all subjective. What constitutes a "wizard" to one person can be different to another- I like my wizards somewhat old and/or weird. My opinion, much like other folks', can has and will change over time.

Last edited:

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
To me, what sets D&D wizardry apart from magic in other fantasy fiction is the emphasis on preparation and use of specific material components. I’m also of the opinion that, if you can’t show in art of a character where they’re carrying all their gear, then they’re carrying too much gear. Therefore, to me, a D&D wizard ought to look something like this:

View attachment 4D364B37-4ED1-4F24-8394-AA18E3152648.webp

I know a lot of people find the Wayne Renolds style with all the belts and pouches a little silly, but where else is the guy supposed to keep all his bat guano and loadstones and fleece and whatever other garbage he needs for his spells? Sure, in 5e he could just use his staff as a focus and not have to worry about all that, but then it no longer feels uniquely D&D to me. Plenty of wizards in other settings use staves and nothing else. Only D&D wizards are going around with pockets full of random junk to cast their spells with.

Last edited:

Remove ads