• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Area Dispel Magic: What is affected?

StealthyMark

First Post
Consider an Area Dispel Magic. In the area of effect are 4 creatures plus 2 summoned monsters (caster level 5). Creature 1 carries some arrows with Greater Magic Weapon (caster level 6). Creature 1, 2, 3 and 4 are enjoying a Bless (caster level 3). Which effects may be cancelled?

a) the summoned monsters
b) the GMW'ed arrows on Creature 1
c) the Bless on Creature 1
d) the Bless on Creature 2, 3, 4

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
All of them, I'd say.

Now here's a question - if the two creatures were both summoned by the same spell - say, two Celestial Dogs summoned by a single Summon Monster II - would a successful targeted dispel on one of the dogs get rid of both of them?

"If a spellcaster targets an object or creature who is the effect of an ongoing spell (such as a monster summoned by monster summoning), she makes a dispel check to end the spell that conjured the object or creature."

The spell that summoned the dog is Summon Monster II. If that spell is ended - wouldn't both dogs disappear?

In the case of the targetted dispel, would one make a single dispel check to unsummon both dogs, or a check on each dog to end the spell?

-Hyp.

Number47

First Post
They all have the potential to be dispelled, except that only one thing for each creature can be dispelled. So, if the check against the Greater Magic Weapon spell succeeds, then then the Bless on Creature 1 cannot be rolled against. Also, for the two summoned creatures if they were summoned by the same spell - we can use the example of area of effect spells as a guideline on this one. I know that Summon Monster is not a area spell, but in this case I think it works similarly. Note that if half a Cloudkill is inside the area Dispel, the you make a check against it. If it succeeds, only that half of the Cloudkill is dispelled. So, given that it is possible to affect only part of a spell, I would say make a check for each separate summoned creature whether or not they were summoned by the same spell, just as you check each creature with Bless and not once for the entire spell.

Xahn'Tyr

First Post
Area Dispel: The spell affects everything within a 30-foot
radius.

For each creature who is the target of one or more spells, the character makes a dispel check against the spell with the highest caster level. If that fails, the character makes dispel checks against progressively weaker spells until the character dispels one spell (which discharges the dispel so far as that target is concerned) or fail all the character's checks. The creatures magic items are not affected.

For each object that is the target of one or more spells, the character makes dispel checks as with creatures. Magic items are not affected by area dispels.
If an object or creature who is the effect of an ongoing spell, such as a monster summoned by monster summoning, is in the area, the character makes a dispel check to end the spell that conjured the object or creature (returning it whence it came) in addition to attempting to dispel spells targeting the creature or object.
So I'm thinking the roll vs the summonings to start (one for each critter). Then roll through each spell on each creature (highest to lowest) until either one spell is dispelled on a given creature or you run out of spells for that creature. Lastly, roll against any object with spells on them (like swords with GMW).

Looks like you can get a lot of milage out of your area dispel in this case.

Remove ads