• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Archer Bard 2nd At-Will Ideas?

The Human Target

Adventurer
I've got a first level Eladrin Bard in my party.

And sadly he only has one archery at-will to choose from. He picked up Guiding Strike as his second at-will, but he hasn't used it much at all yet and he's really getting into the ranged role. I've suggested that he pick up one of the range 10 implement powers in place of it, but its not going to fit his play style very well. He's trying to stay as far back in the battle as he can until he has to close in for heals. And he's sitting on a 16 CHA, so he's already a little behind some of the other party members on the to hit front and it'll probably get wosre without his bow proficiency. He's basically just Jinx Shoting all the time now. Which is a cool power and all, but it does get old.

So, does anyone have any good ideas for another archer bard at-will? Either ones they've already used or have made up just in case?

MadLordOfMilk

First Post
Especially if he's working with an "off" build, you could probably safely rework one of the other at-will powers to use a ranged weapon, with [W] damage instead of d8 (or whatever it uses), and if it's against a NAD, no proficiency bonus. I wouldn't worry at all about him getting overpowered from it, as (from what I gather) he's hardly pushing to play an optimized character.

Or, just let his bow count as the implement for the other attack, and reflavor it to include shooting said bow, along with giving it the bow's range. I don't think you'll unbalance much, especially if his build is already slightly behind the power curve.

Mentat55

First Post
There are songbows now, from AV2, that function as implements for bards.

I'd still grab one of the ranged implement powers. When he closes to heal, he can use one of them. And you're not always going to be able to hang back 20 or 30 squares. Having an at-will that targets Will or Reflex would be a real boon for him.

And if he ends up taking the Euphonic Bow PP, he can use ranged implement powers using the bow's range.

But if you want to create a ranged power, something that gives an ally adjacent to the target a bonus to hit or a bonus to AC would fit pretty well. Distracting Shot or Inspired Shot or something like that.

Last edited:

The Human Target

Adventurer
It is very odd to me that the bow bard pays a feat to use his bow as an implement, and can't do so until Paragon.

Yeah, one of his first magic items is going to be the Whistling Songbow that lets you use a bow as an implement.

Especially if he's working with an "off" build, you could probably safely rework one of the other at-will powers to use a ranged weapon, with [W] damage instead of d8 (or whatever it uses), and if it's against a NAD, no proficiency bonus. I wouldn't worry at all about him getting overpowered from it, as (from what I gather) he's hardly pushing to play an optimized character.

Or, just let his bow count as the implement for the other attack, and reflavor it to include shooting said bow, along with giving it the bow's range. I don't think you'll unbalance much, especially if his build is already slightly behind the power curve.

Yeah, I think I'm just gonna straight up make him a new at-will bow based power thats based around other similar leader powers. I'll post it when I'm finished.

But anyone else feel free to reply as well. I've got two weeks until my next session and plenty of time to change my mind on things.

The Human Target

Adventurer
There are songbows now, from AV2, that function as implements for bards.

I'd still grab one of the ranged implement powers. When he closes to heal, he can use one of them. And you're not always going to be able to hang back 20 or 30 squares. Having an at-will that targets Will or Reflex would be a real boon for him.

And if he ends up taking the Euphonic Bow PP, he can use ranged implement powers using the bow's range.

But if you want to create a ranged power, something that gives an ally adjacent to the target a bonus to hit or a bonus to AC would fit pretty well. Distracting Shot or Inspired Shot or something like that.

Good ideas all around, thanks. I may just push him to take misdirected mark or vicious mockery.

I just can't decide.

MadLordOfMilk

First Post
The probably annoying thing is that a bow takes up both hands, thus preventing you from holding an implement. D'oh! That's the primary reason I'd allow a custom bow power.

But, with a songbow solving that issue (assuming you're giving him one), or if I were doing a low-magic game with the DMG2 rules (with the item enhancement bonuses added in automatically) I'd say just make him deal with it. Heck, worst case just make him wait until lv11 for the feat... it's at most a -2 attack until then if he can't juggle his hands properly, or if he doesn't have a magic implement. Plus, 10 squares is still a huge range, and in most situations you'll be within that range *anyway* ;)

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Is there a Fighter in the party?

If yes: Misdirected Mark is awesome.
If no: Misdirected Mark is somewhat less useful.

Cheers, -- N

The Human Target

Adventurer
Is there a Fighter in the party?

If yes: Misdirected Mark is awesome.
If no: Misdirected Mark is somewhat less useful.

Cheers, -- N

We've got a Warden, and I feel like MM would still be useful. For the fact that the bard could use it to help out the other three characters if they get separated too much or in over their heads.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads