• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

AoO's With a bow

Izod

First Post
Ok one of my players wants to make the peerless arecher class ability of threatning 10' with a bow. We are epic so I don't really have a problem with this but ...

I set the requirements of BaB of +12, Combat reflexes, and precice shot.

he thinks that the requirements don't make sence and are too high.

So what do you all think.

Kahuna Burger

First Post
Izod said:
Ok one of my players wants to make the peerless arecher class ability of threatning 10' with a bow. We are epic so I don't really have a problem with this but ...

I believe a Prc (order of the bow) threatens 5 ft already, so its not that big a jump. that said, if you are epic those are paltry requirements...

kahuna burger

drdevoid

Explorer
He's an Epic character which means he has a minimum BAB of 11 at CL:21 and that's as a single classed Magic User, then being an archer means Precise Shot is a no-brainer, and by dint of being an archer the character has a high dexterity which means combat reflexes is actually a good buy. Doesn't virtually every Archer PrC require precise shot anyway? If you had required Lightning Reflexes instead of Combat Reflexes that might be a little harsh but still just as justifiable really. Look at the S&F feats that require Lightning Reflexes, they're nowhere near the power level. I'd actually raise the BAB requirement and have a Dex requirement. A good archer is usually a fighter, ranger or rogue so that BAB is just too low.

Maximillian

First Post
Two new feats:

Agile Firing
Prerequisites: Dex 13+, Point Blank Shot, Dodge, Mobility, Shot on the Run, BAB +4
Benefit: When you use any ranged weapon, you no longer provoke an attack of opportunity.
Normal: Making any sort of ranged attack provokes an opportunity.

Reflexive Shot
Prerequisites: Dex 13+, Point Blank Shot, Dodge, Mobility, Shot on the Run, Precise Shot, Agile Firing BAB +6
Benefit: You have a threat range of 15' when wielding any missile weapon.
Normal: Ranged weapons do not threaten.

Last edited:

Judas

First Post
Maximillian said:
Two new feats:

Agile Firing
Prerequisites: Dex 13+, Point Blank Shot, Dodge, Mobility, Shot on the Run, BAB +4
Benefit: When you use any ranged weapon, you no longer provoke an attack of opportunity.
Normal: Making any sort of ranged attack provokes an opportunity.

Reflexive Shot
Prerequisites: Dex 13+, Point Blank Shot, Dodge, Mobility, Shot on the Run, Precise Shot, Agile Firing BAB +6
Benefit: You have a threat range of 15' when wielding any missile weapon.
Normal: Ranged weapons do not threaten.
I like these to a point. Agile Firing copies the class ability of the peerless archer, so I'm against that... sort of. I might include it in my campaign though. Reflexive Shot seems too broad. I would change it too encompass only a ranged weapon you're focused in. That's just me though. Good feats still!

drdevoid

Explorer
Since these feats are copying PrC abilities that are received somewhere around CL:7 - CL:9, I would think the BAB req should be higher. I'd only adjust it if you have a player just dying to play a rogue archer. Otherwise, straight Fighters and/or alt.rangers archers can acheive these abilities before the Prestige Classed characters and I'm not thrilled with that idea, but it's just a personal preference.

Rackhir

Explorer
Judas said:
I like these to a point. Agile Firing copies the class ability of the peerless archer, so I'm against that... sort of. I might include it in my campaign though. Reflexive Shot seems too broad. I would change it too encompass only a ranged weapon you're focused in. That's just me though. Good feats still!

IIRC the ELH already has a feat that mimics the effect of Agile Firing, or the 2nd level OoBI ability. I believe it is called combat shot and is a requirement for the Master of the Order of the Bow class (though obviously the OoBI ability can substitue).

I would be against permitting a feat that would give a 10' threaten range. It would make some sense to add the reach for a creature to the 5' threaten range of the MoOB, or the 30' 10th level ability of the MoOB.

Basically, the first MoOB "Threaten" ability, puts the archer back on equal footing with regards to AoOs as other typical melee characters. With the exception of Spiked chain, I don't think there are any weapons that threaten a 10' area, though there are pole arms that threaten the 5' area at 10', but not the 5' right infront of the character IIRC.

The 10th level MoOB ability, then broadens it out to the 30' range that is max for many abilities - PBS, WS, Sneak attacks, etc...

So I don't really see the necessity for a feat to permit the 10' threat range. Just make the character take the MoOB epic prestige class. If they are an epic level archer they should be taking epic archer prestige classes, rather than trying to mimic the ability through feats.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads