• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anyone wanna give this NWN thread a try? :)

Lazybones

Adventurer
What a hoot! I was JUST THERE not half an hour ago reading this and shaking my head.

Mostly I just lurk over there, though... good entertainment value (I have to admit, though, sometimes I get worked up thinking about this game as well...)

ShadowMaster

First Post
?????

EN World - d20 News & Reviews > D&D/d20 System Forums > D&D Rules

This is where you are.

We are expecting thread aboud DnD rules. My only question is: is that thread (the one you're refering to) is realy a rule question or a computer game specific question?

Maybe I just missunderstand the thread. If not, then move this thread elsewhere please.

Lazybones

Adventurer
Actually the link is to a thread that discusses some abuses of 9th level spells. It deals with the CRPG, but I think that Saxit wanted to raise the thread author's view of the Gate spell. Basically he indicated that he felt it was legal under the rules to plane shift to another plane, summon an enemy from your home plane, and then basically command him to kill himself (or sit still while the gater did it). The logic was that the spell gives him the power to absolutely control a gated creature for the duration of an "immediate task" (20 rounds or thereabouts I think). The thread has a lot of posts on the issue, mostly taking issue with this interpretation of the spell description.

Gromm

First Post
You're welcome to try and summon a Solar and ask him to not defend himself while you kill him.
When they find your headless corpse later, I'm sure they'll wonder what happened.
Gate says nothing about compelling the creature to do something that would result in its death. It can be summoned against its will, and then used to fight in a single battle or take any other actions, but having it kill itself is an automatic failure.
Looking at the extended services the service must be "reasonable with respect to the promised favor or reward."

I guess you can say the spell doesn't say you can't force a suicide, but since Dominate Monster wont let you do it I don't see how Gate mysteriously can, with no save or SR.
This is where DMs step in and kill stupid players.

Henry

Autoexreginated
This falls into one of those categories where rules-lawyering taken to its extreme is a bad thing. I agree that if dominated foes and summoned monsters cannot be commanded to kill themselves, then why would a gated creature be, ESPECIALLY when the spell speaks of "rewards" and whether or not they are attached to the service.

Second, you cannot shapechange into a unique creature, SUCH as the tarrasque (but then, some Bioware site posters pointed that one out).

Any DM that would allow it has some quite strange motives for doing so, indeed.

"You want gate to work that way? Fine...

BAM! Suddenly, a swirling portal of magic energy appears before you. You feel strangely compelled to enter, and when you do, you find yourself standing before your arch-enemy, Malaprops the Evil Priest, along with a host of horned devils.

Malaprops looks at you evilly...

'Good day, hero. Do me a favor, would you? HOLD STILL.'

HE then grins evilly as he draws a long ceremonial knife..."

:D

Larcen

Explorer
Henry said:
...BAM! Suddenly, a swirling portal of magic energy appears before you. You feel strangely compelled to enter, and when you do, you find yourself standing before your arch-enemy, Malaprops the Evil Priest, along with a host of horned devils.

Malaprops looks at you evilly...

'Good day, hero. Do me a favor, would you? HOLD STILL.'

HE then grins evilly as he draws a long ceremonial knife..."

:D

Perfect. :cool:

Remove ads