• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Another D&D cartoon reference, do they mean anything?

Oofta

Legend
Eric always was referred to as the paladin. But "who is the audience?" is always a problem with animated revivals. Do you aim it at 12 years olds like the original, or the 40-somethings for whom it has nostalgia value? Very difficult to hit both targets.
Eric was a cavalier, not a paladin. For the other characters: Diana was an acrobat, Sheila was the thief, Presto the wizard and Hank the ranger.

If they do the D&D cartoon I would assume it would be a complete reboot, so it's own thing with the occasional Easter egg nod to the original show. Seems like it could work just fine, a lo of old cartoons such as Bugs Bunny had a lot of jokes that only adults really got but they were still primarily viewed by kids. Heck, I remember going to the Shrek movie and having some pre-teens in the row in front of us looking oddly at us because of some of the jokes that they just didn't get. It's not an either-or situation.

I don't think a lot of the jokes in Bugs Bunny would be allowed these days! But if you look at their history, they where originally designed for an adult audience, and accompanied movies before the advent of TV.

But you would probably have to restart the D&D cartoon from the start, so everyone was up with the plot, rather than go with "we have been trapped here for forty years without aging."

BTW, did you notice that Disney+ are doing a D&D-with-the-numbers-filed-off reality gameshow?

Last edited:

Oofta

Legend
I don't think a lot of the jokes in Bugs Bunny would be allowed these days! But if you look at their history, they where originally designed for an adult audience, and accompanied movies before the advent of TV.
There are a lot of the old cartoons that would be quite problematic (and rightly so) nowadays.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
I encountered toilet paper in a dungeon once...I can't remember where. Ruins of Undermountain maybe?

As for pizza, if Elminster and Mordenkainen can pop over to Earth (Elminster in particular is fond of pina coladas), I just need to get high enough level!

Or learn to cast Fabricate.

Weiley31

Legend
I don’t fully know if I see it (The cartoon is way before my time), but this is the picture people claimed to see the two figures as cartoon player characters:

View attachment 154828
That DOES look to be Hank, the Ranger with the Magic Bow, and the Acrobat chick.

So, it's quite possible that the main "objective" of the starter set is helping the kids through the events of the starter set, ala like an unofficial/official episode of the series. Would be pretty neat if it actually ended with the PCs helping the gang get back home.

Remove ads