• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

And Conan should have a ??? accent?

Ender_rpm

First Post
I doubt he'd sound like the Western Celts (ie Ireland ect). They were all settled by Celts from Iberia (Spain) anyway. So he'd sound like Inigo Montoya. :heh:

Huw

First Post
Point one: The Cimmerians were not the ancestors of the Celts in the real world
Point two: The Cimmerians are the ancestors of the Celts in Howard's own world
Point three: Howard's Celts and Cimmerians are not the same as the real world Celts and Cimmerians

Conclusion: Conan's accent should be the accent of the most appropriate actor to play him

I rest my case.

Mystaros

First Post
Conan was Cimmerian, and as in Howard's myths the Cimmerians were the primary ancestors of the Celts and most specifically the Gaelic branch, a highlands Scots accent would be most appropriate.

Note that Conan never loses his barbaric accent, no matter whether he be general or king. You can take the barbarian out of the highlands, but you can't take the highlands out of the barbarian...

I've always felt that the best way to find the next actor to portray Conan is to troll the drunk tanks of the eastern towns of Scotland, where North Sea oil rig roughnecks on leave would be stuck after a night of carousing and fighting. Look for the black-haired, blue-eyed burly Scots roustabout that the other inmates defer to and fear, and that's your man for the part...

EvilPheemy

First Post
It's an interesting question. Howard described Conan's accent to be distinctive enough that it was an important part of how the character was described. Which says to me that Conan's accent should be recognizable and distinct from the language of the reader. Arnie's Austrian accent works for American audiences because it's rough and well, barbaric sounding. A Scotch, or Irish accent might not resonate so strongly because those accents are common enough in movies that they've lost that "exotic" touch.

Austrian (or German) would sound too much like Arnie, so that should be out. However, a strong Scandinavian accent might do the trick, but I'd be tempted to reserve that speech for any Aesir or Vanir in the story.

Maybe somewhere along the Baltic? Germanic languages influenced by Slavic and Scandinavian?

Scott_Rouse

Explorer
If you ever wonder what it is like to Work at WOTC. Insert this conversation into the middle of a meeting about business strategy or in some other type office setting and you've got Wizards. Oh yeah and there should be at least one sword in the room.

Try it at your workplace and see what happens ;)

BTW I think some Scotish/Irish/Welsh combo.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads