• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ammunition and Thrown Weapons Counter

pdzoch

Explorer
I've made some cards to help keep track of the arrows, crossbow bolts, daggers, darts, and etc. that the players use during the game. For some reason, annotating ammunition used during the game has been problematic and erratic for my group. Sometimes they remember, sometimes they don't, and sometimes they forget to update recovered ammunition. So I created a handful of ammunition counting cards to help keep track. These card are the same size as the standard playing card (3.5 x 2.5) and are printed 9 to a page (3x3). We place them in regular card sleeves and use dry erase markers to mark the card. I placed twenty arrows on a card (call it a quiver). Arrows that hit are destroyed, so it gets an x. Arrows that miss, get a slash. If they are recovered, we erase the slash to "restock the quiver." If it is lost, then it gets the second slash to make it an x and thus expended. The blowgun darts are 50 to a card because that is the standard purchase size and what fits in the needle case. Most the small hand thrown weapons are twenty to a card also because I've had some players rely heavily on those weapons and REALLY stock up on them. As for the large hand thrown weapons, I only placed five on a card because carrying more than five is a bit cumbersome and unlikely. I've included two version of the throwing hammer (long handle and short handle versions) to satisfy the two views on what the throwing hammer "really" looks like. Anyway, I hope these are useful to you. I can make some additional weapons counters if requested. Just let me know.

* Updated * Added torches and rations *

Attachments

• Arrow Counter.png
    Arrow Counter.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 5,987
  • Bolt Counter.png
    Bolt Counter.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 3,810
  • Bullet Counter.png
    Bullet Counter.png
    1 MB · Views: 3,427
  • Dagger Counter.png
    Dagger Counter.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,668
  • Dart Counter.png
    Dart Counter.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 7,860
  • Javelin Counter.png
    Javelin Counter.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 6,821
  • Throwing Hammer Counter2.png
    Throwing Hammer Counter2.png
    1 MB · Views: 2,557
  • Throwing Hammer Counter.png
    Throwing Hammer Counter.png
    1,001.6 KB · Views: 1,291
  • Throwing Axe Counter.png
    Throwing Axe Counter.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,353
  • Spear Counter.png
    Spear Counter.png
    1 MB · Views: 1,396
  • Shurikin counter.png
    Shurikin counter.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,357
  • Blow Gun Needle Counter.png
    Blow Gun Needle Counter.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 4,260
  • Ration Counter.png
    Ration Counter.png
    866.6 KB · Views: 3,354
  • Torch Counter.png
    Torch Counter.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,577
Last edited:

davout1805

Explorer
Nice.

I use small wood cubes for ammo and rations. see

Although currently with mine I only handle one type of ammo per character. Your setup could handle multiple.

I've made some cards to help keep track of the arrows, crossbow bolts, daggers, darts, and etc. that the players use during the game. For some reason, annotating ammunition used during the game has been problematic and erratic for my group. Sometimes they remember, sometimes they don't, and sometimes they forget to update recovered ammunition.

pdzoch

Explorer
Nice.

I use small wood cubes for ammo and rations. see

Although currently with mine I only handle one type of ammo per character. Your setup could handle multiple.

I like your use of wooden cubes. Different colors could represent different ammo. (the blowgun needles would require a lot of cubes, though). I totally forgot about the rations counter, especially the different types of rations that exist. And while I am at it, I should include torches. Hmm. What else?

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Those are some lovely cards. I really hope they work out for your group, pdzoch.

If I caught a player not counting his ammo, that would mean that I, the GM, would be in charge of it (since I run everything the players don't, right?).

...And guess what, Player? You now have ::rolls 1d20:: 3 arrows left. Want to recover your arrows? ::Rolls 1d4:: you find another 3. I guess you'll have 6 shots in your next fight!

Paul Graaf

First Post
I find keeping tack of ammo and food stuffs in a normal situation to be tedious and unnecessary, even as a DM. For normal game play I just ask that they buy more every visit or so to civilization. Now if they head to the underdark, or another plane, then I require they keep track as you have no idea when or if they will be able to restock. It just seems to keep the game moving faster and lessons something that really doesn't add to the game. IMHO.

mrpopstar

Sparkly Dude
I find keeping tack of ammo and food stuffs in a normal situation to be tedious and unnecessary, even as a DM. For normal game play I just ask that they buy more every visit or so to civilization. Now if they head to the underdark, or another plane, then I require they keep track as you have no idea when or if they will be able to restock. It just seems to keep the game moving faster and lessons something that really doesn't add to the game. IMHO.
Resource management is half the fun! #SurvivalHorror

DMBadger

Villager
I've made some cards to help keep track of the arrows, crossbow bolts, daggers, darts, and etc. that the players use during the game. For some reason, annotating ammunition used during the game has been problematic and erratic for my group. Sometimes they remember, sometimes they don't, and sometimes they forget to update recovered ammunition. So I created a handful of ammunition counting cards to help keep track. These card are the same size as the standard playing card (3.5 x 2.5) and are printed 9 to a page (3x3). We place them in regular card sleeves and use dry erase markers to mark the card. I placed twenty arrows on a card (call it a quiver). Arrows that hit are destroyed, so it gets an x. Arrows that miss, get a slash. If they are recovered, we erase the slash to "restock the quiver." If it is lost, then it gets the second slash to make it an x and thus expended. The blowgun darts are 50 to a card because that is the standard purchase size and what fits in the needle case. Most the small hand thrown weapons are twenty to a card also because I've had some players rely heavily on those weapons and REALLY stock up on them. As for the large hand thrown weapons, I only placed five on a card because carrying more than five is a bit cumbersome and unlikely. I've included two version of the throwing hammer (long handle and short handle versions) to satisfy the two views on what the throwing hammer "really" looks like. Anyway, I hope these are useful to you. I can make some additional weapons counters if requested. Just let me know.

* Updated * Added torches and rations *
Very late to the party but thank you very much for the share

Remove ads