• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Alter Self/Polymorph - Racial Bonus Feat

Ragmon

Explorer
Alter Self, its same for polymorph for this question.

Edit:
So since the above link is invorrect heres another if you don't like it mine.
Alter Self

Gain - "...racial bonus feats...".

So after transforming the character would gain the Feats where it says Feats at the monsters description?

For instance:

Cloaker - Feats: Alertness, Combat Reflex, Improved initiative
Hydra - Feats: Combat Reflex (this this is even mentioned in the "Combat" description), Toughness, Iron Will, Wep Focus (bite)

* They gain these from the bonus feats they gain from HD if I'm not mistaken.
For example at Creating a Bugbear it says"
"Racial Feats: A bugbear's humanoid levels give it two feats."
(Alertness, Weapon Focus).

Rule wise lets just stick to the PHB version and ruling of the spells.

Last edited:

Ragmon

Explorer
Racial bonus feats are labeled with a B beside them. For instance, a cat has Weapon Finesse as its bonus feat. That's it. If you were to use Alter Self to become a cat, you'd only gain Weapon Finesse and not Stealthy, because Stealthy isn't a racial bonus feat.

Em the cat's Wep Fines is not marked with a B. The B means that that feat does not have a requirement.

Last edited:

Ragmon

Explorer
There is a superscript B right after it. It's a link as well, which will take you to the rules entry about feats for monsters.

I'm looking for explanations not links.... i read what i could but i do not understand what the writers wanted to convey to the reader.
That and the B is not there in the MM where its says Wep Fines at the cat's feats.

And is THAT the bonus racial feat that the Alter Self mentions?

Last edited:

Take a look at the errata for MM. In it is an update giving Weapon Finesse as a bonus feat to many creatures, including the cat.

This is the System Resource Document. It is the most up to date version of the core materials, which is the reason I linked to it. I suggest you go there when you have a question. Here is the relevant information on what bonus feats are, since you seem to want it clarified.

What they mean when they say racial bonus feat is stuff like Weapon Finesse for the cat, or Combat Reflexes for a hydra. It will be specifically stated that the feat is a bonus feat.

Feats gained through HD are not bonus feats.

emanresu

First Post
reserved feats from complete mage, one of them is, from what I remember, alter self at will so long as you have a polymorph spell to cast, yes?

Samloyal23

Adventurer
What about the logic behind the spell? This spell creates a physical change, not a mental one. A feat is a learned ability like a skill or class ability, but one often dependent on physical form. If you have not spent substantial time in a physical form, you are not going to know the feats a creature with that form has developed...

Ragmon

Explorer
What about the logic behind the spell? This spell creates a physical change, not a mental one. A feat is a learned ability like a skill or class ability, but one often dependent on physical form. If you have not spent substantial time in a physical form, you are not going to know the feats a creature with that form has developed...

Yes that is the logical part....but rule wise it says that the character gains the Racial Bonus Feats, which as much as i know are the feats marked with B.

But is this correct rule wise?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads