• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

All D&D trolls are male?

frankthedm

First Post
Originally Posted by Delta
Hypothetically, the female could appear as a different type of monster (hags being a good prospect).

For example: All dryads are female, are satyrs are male, procreation occuring between the two types. (Per the very old Dragon "Sex in D&D" article).
Yes, that's true. Sexual dimorphism so extreme that the sexes are called different things is possible. My brain was locked in "monster name = species" mode.
I'm a fan of minotaurs being an all male race capable of mating with bovine animals or humaniods. Whether the individual minotaur has feet or hooves depends on the mother.

DandD

First Post
I like what they did with trolls in Beowulf and Grendel; a recent film from Scandinavia/Canada.

There the troll seemed to reproduce by mating with human females who would then give birth to a troll baby that was always male. This gives lots of great plot hooks for trolls carrying off women etc.

Although the scandinavian idea of the troll is different to the D&D version, I like it much better. D&D trolls have always looked really odd to me.
That happens in the Berserk Manga as well... only that the little troll-babys burst out from the stomach of the woman like the little xenomorphs from alien, haha...

Also, demon-energy infused babys burst out from captive midlandian women plunged into apostle-juice, ewwwww...

I wonder what Miura thinks about child-birth... :D

Ace

Adventurer
In one campaign I had all Trolls being male and females being hags.

Another thing I played with is that trolls are basically mutants who were exposed to tarrasque blood.

Richards

Legend
There was an adventure in Dungeon back in the 2E days - I think it was called "Rage" - that dealt with a troll mother and her troll sons. I remember my players' PCs having to retreat two different times before finally finishing them off the third time.

Also, while it's admittedly not D&D, I remember back when Walt Simonson was both writing and illustrating the Mighty Thor comic book, in one issue he had Thor taking on a Troll Mother, who was significantly more powerful than the numerous (male) trolls Thor had fought before.

Johnathan

Delta

First Post
Also, while it's admittedly not D&D, I remember back when Walt Simonson was both writing and illustrating the Mighty Thor comic book, in one issue he had Thor taking on a Troll Mother, who was significantly more powerful than the numerous (male) trolls Thor had fought before.

Best. Comic. Ever.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads